I was looking for a refreshing summer salad but I was tired of the same old pasta salad. I came across a recipe for a barley salad. I decided to change it up and use some fresh vegetables from the farmer’s market. I found some sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, green onions, and some fresh herbs.
The end result is a wonderful salad with fresh vegetables in a bright lemon dressing. It is perfect for a picnic or on a hot summer day.
Farmer’s Market Barley Salad
1 ½ c. uncooked barley
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 cup of tomatoes, seeded and diced
½ c. chopped green onions
20 olives, pitted and chopped
4 T. lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
2 T. olive oil
1 T. orange juice
1 t. salt
1 t. fresh ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. feta cheese
2 T. each of fresh parsley and fresh thyme, chopped
1. Cook the barley according to the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again and refrigerate until completely cooled.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine corn, tomatoes, green onions, and olives.
3. In a small bowl whisk lemon juice, olive oil, orange juice, salt, pepper, and garlic cloves. Whish until well blended.
4. Mix the vegetables with the barley. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
5. Toss with feta cheese and chopped fresh herbs.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.