Peppermint Bark Cookies (adapted from Cookin Canuck )
2 c. flour
½ t. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 egg white
½ c. white chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 inch cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl stir together the flour and salt. In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla. Slowly stir in the egg and egg white until well mixed.
3. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring constantly.
4. Put the cookie dough in between two pieces of waxed paper and roll out to a 14 x 10 inch rectangle. Peel off the top layer of waxed paper. Flip over top (cookie side down) of your cookie sheet with the parchment paper and peel off the top layer of waxed paper. Press into the pan. Prick the bottom with a fork.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes or until the edges are browned. Pull out of the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Return to the oven for 1 minute.
6. Pull out of oven and place cookie sheet on a wire cooling rack. Using a wooden spoon spread the melting chocolate into a thin layer over the sugar cookie layer. Sprinkle the crushed candy cane on top of the chocolate. Let cool for 5 minutes.
7. Place the white chocolate chips in a zip top bag and place in the microwave for 1 minute. Mix in the bag. Heat in additional increments of 15 seconds until it’s totally melted. Pour in the peppermint extract and squeeze bag to mix. Seal the bag, cut off the tip, and drizzle over the top of the cookies.
8. Let cool for 30 minutes and remove the cookies from the pan using the parchment paper, onto a cutting board. Cut into squares with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
This post linked to: