Friday night in our house is generally either pasta night or pizza night. Both are delicious and easy to make. So when I saw a recipe for pizza pasta casserole I knew this was our next Friday night meal. My husband wasn’t too sure about combining the two but I was sold as soon as I saw it.
The concept of the dish is layers of sauce, noodles, ground beef, cheese, and pepperoni. It’s reminiscent of lasagna but then there is the twist of the pepperoni and the seasonings. We both ended up enjoying the casserole. I liked that it was a hearty pasta dish and my husband loved the addition of the pepperoni. This is a great twist on traditional pasta.
Pizza Pasta Casserole (adapted from For Mamas: By a Mama)
12 oz. egg noodles, cooked and drained
4 c. marinara sauce
3 c. shredded mozzarella
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 t. oregano
1 t. basil
1 t. parsley
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 package pepperoni
1. In a large skillet combine the ground beef, onion, oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic. Saute until the beef is browned.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a 9 x 13 baking dish pour a layer of sauce. Layer it with half of the noodles, half of the ground beef, half of the sauce, and half of the pepperoni.
4. Then layer the rest of the noodles, half of the cheese, and the remaining ground beef. Top with remaining sauce, making sure to totally cover the top of the casserole.
5. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese and then layer with pepperoni.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is heated.