All day long I’ve been wishing for a cookie but I haven’t felt like making one. My husband was sweet enough to offer to go and get me one but I declined because store bought cookies just aren’t the same. After talking about it for several hours I think the cookie fairy finally smiled down on me in the form of The Secret Recipe Club. I saw a post on the FB page asking for someone to help out with a last minute post. When I went to Double the Sugar I immediately saw a cookie recipe that I had pinned earlier in the month. It was fate I tell you!
These cookies were easy to make but it was super hard to wait for the to cool before I could eat them. The bottom layer is a simple shortbread cookie. On top of that is a caramel layer. Then the entire thing is topped off with chocolate. This cookie is incredible. The cookie layer is crisp and buttery, while the caramel layer is salted, and the chocolate is the icing on this cookie.
Millionaire’s Shortbread Cookies (adapted from Double the Sugar)
For the shortbread:
1 stick butter
1 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
For the caramel layer:
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 T. butter
1 t. coarse salt
For the chocolate layer:
6 oz. good quality chocolate
1 T. butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, sugars, and salt. Mix in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles small peas. Press the shortbread mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the sweetened condensed milk, butter, and coarse salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 15 minutes stirring constantly or until the color turns a caramel color. Remove from heat.
5. Heat the chocolate and butter in a double broiler. Stir until just melted. Spread over top of the cooled caramel layer and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
6. Cut into 2 inch squares and serve.