I like to make pasta bakes in the oven because it allows me to prepare them earlier in the day and just pop them in the oven whenever I get home from work or the gym. Lately I've done a lot of lasagna and ziti type pasta bakes so I've been looking for something a little different. When I saw the tortellini bake I had to make it. Tortellini is one of my favorite pastas. Who doesn't like pasta and cheese?
One thing I really liked about the tortellini bake was that it has a package of spinach in it to add some color and nutrition. It's basically a combination of mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, spinach, marinara, and spices mixed with the tortellini.
I liked this meal a lot. The tortellini was soft and picked up the flavors from the sauce and spices. The spinach added flavor and color. It also reheated well which was a plus because it makes a large amount of pasta.
Baked Cheesy Tortellini (adapted from Stick a Fork In It)
1 lb. bag of frozen tortellini (mine was tri-colored)
3 c. marinara sauce
1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed
3/4 c. low fat ricotta cheese
3/4 c. part skim mozzarella cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions. Drain and keep warm.
3. In a 9 x 13 baking dish combine the marinara sauce, spinach, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic cloves, oregano, and basil. Stir well to combine.
4. Add the tortellini to the dish and mix well so that it is coated with the marinara mixture. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the Parmesan is starting to brown and the cheese in the dish is melted.
This post linked to:
Meatless Mondays, Mangia Monday, Mouthwatering Mondays
Making You Crave Monday