While I always enjoy our bi-monthly recipe swap I was super excited this week because the theme is noodles. If you know anything about me you know that I absolutely love any type of pasta. I received my recipe from Kate of Kate's Recipe Box. The recipe was for Linguini with Tex-Mex Pepper Cream Sauce. It looked interesting and I was intrigued by the Mexican and Italian ingredients combining.
The sauce is simple to make while the pasta is cooking. The vegetables are sauteed and then put into a food processor. Everything is mixed together and it makes a gorgeous orange colored sauce with flecks of green in it. We enjoyed the taste as well. It's creamy and has a lot of cheesy flavor but then finishes off with some heat from the green chilies. Both Frank and I enjoyed it and agreed that it was a nice change from ordinary pasta sauce.
Linguini with Tex-Mex Pepper Cream Sauce (adapted from Kate's Recipe Box)
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. low fat sour cream
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
3/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c. pepper jack cheese, shredded
1/4 t. red pepper
1/2 t. oregano
1 lb. linguini
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
2. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, green and red peppers, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
3. Place the vegetable mixture in a food processor along with the sour cream, cilantro, green chiles, and cheddar cheese. Process until smooth.
4. Pour the puree back into the skillet and add the drained pasta. Toss to coat. Add the pepper jack cheese, red pepper, and oregano. Stir until the cheese is melted.
5. Serve topped with cilantro.
This post linked to:
Foodie Friday, Shine on Friday, Foodie Friday 2, Seasonal Inspiration,