Whenever I go out for Chinese I tend to lean toward the chicken and rice dishes. My favorite take out meal is General Tso’s chicken with broccoli. I also enjoy sweet and sour chicken with rice and General Tso’s tofu. I never get beef when I go out to dinner. It’s just not my thing. I recently got to thinking that I never get noodles with my meal which is a big surprise because of my love for pasta. I don’t know if it’s because when I think pasta I think Italian or if I just like rice with my Chinese food.
Last week I had a 2 pound cut of sirloin in my freezer and I used up half of it to make soup. When searching for a meal to make with the remaining beef I came across the recipe for beef and broccoli. I also happened to have 2 bunches of broccoli in the refrigerator and a half used box of spaghetti in my cupboard so it was meant to be.
Frank and I ended up really enjoying this meal. It took 20 minutes to make and it had a subtle soy, ginger, and beef flavor. The noodles soaked up the sauce which was delicious. The broccoli was tender but not soggy. This is the perfect weeknight meal!
Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein (adapted from Family Fun)
8 oz. spaghetti, broken in half
1 T. sesame oil
1 T. olive oil
3 c. broccoli florets
1/2 t. black pepper
1 c. onion, sliced
1 T fresh ginger, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
12 oz. sirloin steak, sliced thin
1/4 c. beef broth
4 T. soy sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. oyster sauce
1 T. garlic chili pepper sauce
1. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain and toss with the sesame oil. Set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the broccoli, onion, and black pepper and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Move the vegetables to the edges of the skillet and place the beef in the beef. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
4. In a small bowl combine the beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, oyster sauce, and garlic chili sauce. Stir well and pour over top of the beef and broccoli.
5. Add in the pasta and mix well. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until everything is heated through.