This dish is delicious. It's also exactly what I would expect to find on the menu at a country club. The chicken is covered with a creamy white wine and mushroom sauce. Bacon is set on top of the chicken for flavor and crunch and diced apple is added for a touch of sweetness. This would be a great company meal as well because it looks pretty, tastes great, and isn't too difficult to make.
Country Club Chicken (adapted from Kayotic Kitchen)
1 lb. spaghetti
4 chicken breasts
1/2 large onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
5 oz mushrooms, sliced
4 oz. cream cheese
4 slices bacon
1/2 c. dry white wine
1/2 c. sharp cheddar, shredded
1 apple, minced
1 t. black pepper
1 t. salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Cook the bacon in a large saute pan over medium heat. Once it has browned, remove to a paper towel covered plate and drain. Drain all but 2 teaspoons of bacon fat out of the pan.
3. Add the chicken to the saute pan with bacon fat and brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and place in a 9 x 13 pan.
4. Add the onion and garlic to the same saute pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Then stir in the apples and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the salt and pepper into the onion mixture. Stir in 2 pieces of crumbled bacon and white wine.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the chicken broth, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese until everything is combined. Pour over the chicken breasts in the casserole dish.
7. Break the remaining two bacon strips in half and place on top of the chicken. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
8. While the chicken is cooking. cook the spaghetti according go package directions. Drain.
Tasty Thursdays, Fantastic Thursdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Tastetastic Thursdays, Gingerbread Sweet Saturday,