This year I decided to dress up as a baker. I figured I bake enough throughout the year that it was an appropriate costume. I have an apron with my blog's logo on it and I wore a baker's hat as well. I actually ended up baking Halloween cookies and passing them out the to little brother's and sister's of my students. It was so much fun!
Since I made so many Halloween cookies I wanted to share them with this weeks #SundaySupper. Our theme this week is a Trick-or-Treat Halloween party and these vegan sugar cookies certainly fit the theme! I was hoping the cookies would taste just as good as the original sugar cookie and I wasn't disappointed! I was actually surprised by how flavorful and delicious the vegan cookies turned out. They were slightly crisp on the edges but soft and sugary in the middle.
Vegan Halloween Sugar Cookies (adapted from Chez Bettay The Vegan Gourmet)
For the cookies:
2 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. vanilla almond milk
1 t. vanilla
6 oz. Earth Balance Buttery Spread
For the royal icing:
3 c. powdered sugar
1 T. Karo syrup
4 T. vanilla almond milk
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the Earth Balance Spread and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add in the baking soda and mix until blended.
3. Mix in the almond milk and vanilla.
4. Stir in the flour until just blended.
5. Roll the dough into a ball and lift it out of the bowl. Gently roll it into a log. Wrap the log with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
7. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on parchment paper. Roll the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place on the parchment paper covered cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges juts begin to turn brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. While the cookies are cooling combine the icing ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. The mixture should be fairly thick.
10. Tint the icing the desired colors and pipe onto the cooled cookies. For information on decorating cookies with royal icing go HERE.
11. Store cookies in an air tight container for 1 week.
Witches, ghosts, goblins, vampires, zombies, monsters... Everyone is invited. You don't want to miss this hair-raising party. It's sure to be a real scream!
On the menu for our Trick-or-Treat #SundaySupper Halloween Party:
- Shrunken Heads in Cider - Girlichef
- Candy Corn Martini - The Messy Baker Blog
- Trick-or-Treat Wine Pairings for Halloween - ENOFYLZ
- Steak Bites with Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce - I Run for Wine
- Eggs in Purgatory - My Catholic Kitchen
- Mini Jack-o’-Lantern Sloppy Joe Pies - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Baked Mummy Cheese Dogs - In the Kitchen with KP
- Meat Head - Ruffles & Truffles
- Goblin Eggs - Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mummy Hot Dogs - Damn Delicious
- Spooky Kid Pizzas - Sustainable Dad
- Pumpkin Chili, Pumpkin Dip, & Wicken Witch’s Brew - Daddy Knows Less
- Monster Mash - Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Sloppy Worm Sandwiches - La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Biscoff Cream - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Spooky Ogre Eye Cookies - The Realistic Nutritionist
- Jack O’ Lantern Cookies - Magnolia Days
- Spooky Good Popcorn Snack Mix - The Weekend Gourment
- White Chocolate & Coconut Dipped Strawberry Ghosts - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Monster Bites - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Vegan Halloween Sugar Cookies - Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Monster Cookies - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Tunnel of Doom Cake - That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Candy-Stuffed Rice Crispy Treat Pumpkins - Chocolate Moosey
- Crispy Graham Bones - The Meltaways
- Dulce de Leche Bat Cookies - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Witch’s Fingers - Noshing with The Nolands
- Sweet Intestines with Broken Glass - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Graveyard Brownies - The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Boo Candy Corn & Chocolate Chip Cookies - Hip Foodie Mom
- Bleeding Devil Cakes - Momma’s Meals
- Pumpkin Halloween Munch - Big Bear’s Wife
- Halloween Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cake Pops - Juanita’s Cocina
- Jack-O-Lantern Carrot Cake - Galactosemia in PDX
- Ghostly Chocolate Orange Tarts - Happy Baking Days
- Messy Monster Cookies - MarocMama
- Bewitchingly Delicious Butterscotch Broomstick Cake Pops - Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Halloween Popcorn Cake - Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Witches Morning Gruel - In the Kitchen with Audrey
- White Chocolate & Dulce de Leche Ghosts - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Peanut Butter Candy Bar Cookies - The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Monster Cookie Revel Bars - Baker Street
- Halloween Cereal Bars - Basic N Delicious
- Ossi di Morti (Bones of the Dead Cookies) - Webicurean
- Pumpkin Pie Pinwheels - Midlife Road Trip
This post linked to:
Scrumptious Sundays, Mouthwatering Mondays,