I went to the market looking for the perfect apple for this butter. I finally settled on a combination of sweet Gala's and tart McIntosh apples. The longest part of this process is peeling and cutting the apples. I peeled them all by hand then used an apple corer/slicer to help me cut them. This cut down on some time but it still took close to 45 minutes to peel and slice all of the apples.
I boiled the apples until they were soft and them put them into the food processor to turn them into pulp. Then the pulp is mixed with spices and sugar to make the apple butter. The apple butter is then cooked until it has thickened and then processed in the canner. I enjoyed this smooth version of the apple butter. It is great on toast, waffles, or even on top of ice cream!
This week #SundaySupper is all about Gifts From the Kitchen and I can't think of a better gift then something that has been canned and can be enjoyed anytime throughout the year! I'm happy to share this apple butter recipe this week.
Apple Butter (recipe from Ball's Blue Book Guide to Preserving)
4 lbs. apples
4 c. sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1. Wash the apples. Core, peel, and slice the apples.
2. Combine the apples and 2 cups of water in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Simmer until the apples are soft.
3. Pour into a food processor and puree until smooth but not liquified. Measure 2 quarts of the pulp.
4. Prepare a boiling water canner and 3 pint jars.
5. Combine the apple pulp, sugar, and cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook slowly until thick enough to round up on a spoon. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
6. Ladle the hot butter into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch of headspace. Remove air bubbles and readjust headspace.
7. Put on the 2 piece lid and screw to finger tip tight. Heat in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes with the lid on. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove from the water and let cool for 12 hours then check to make sure the lids have sealed. Store for up to 1 year.
**Makes 3 pints**
Breads / Breakfast
- Pumpkin Biscoff Bread – Dinners, Dishes, and Dessert
- All-in-One Beer Bread Kit – girlichef
- Banana Coconut Coffee Cake with Macadamia Nut Streusel – The Lovely Pantry
- Pancake Mix With Apple Cider Syrup and Candied Walnuts – Tora’s Real Food
- Cranberry Hootycreeks – Baker Street
Condiments / Ingredients
- Apple Butter – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Strawberry Jam – The Meltaways
- Herb Vinegars – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Harissa – The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Homemade Vanilla Extract – Flour on my Face
- Homemade Cherry Extract – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Nutella Powder – I Run For Wine
- Apricot Pineapple Rum Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Spiced Cranberry Apricot Almond Chutney – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pumpkin Butter – Family Foodie
- Orange BBQ Sauce – Mid Life Road Trip
Soup and Snacks
- A Soup For You – Momma’s Meals
- Maple Nut Granola - Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Spicy Curried Nuts – Soni’s Food for Thought
- Roasted Spiced Nuts – Mrs Mama Hen
- Sweet and Spicy Pecans – Supper For a Steal
- Maple Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars – Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Orange Spiced Chickpeas – Home Cooking Memories
- Turtle Pretzels – The Messy Baker
- Rocky Road Candy – Magnolia Days
- Dairyfree Vegan Caramels – Galactosemia in PDX
- Peanut Butter Cookies in a Jar – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- M&M Cookies in a Jar – Damn Delicious
- Monster Cookie Mix in a Jar – What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Biscotti – Meal Planning Magic
- Snickerdoodle Snack Mix – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Butter and Jam Thumbprint Cookies – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Peppermint Stick Cookie Truffles - The Weekend Gourmet
- Nutella Truffles – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Peanut Cajetas (Peanut Fudge) – Basic and Delicious
- Cookie Cutter Fudge – Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Roll – Shockingly Delicious
- Homemade Chocolates – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chocolate Toffee “Crack” – Ruffles and Truffles
- Holiday Tree Cake – Noshing with the Nolands
- Salted Caramel Cookies – Mama Mommy Mom
- Fruit and Nut Cookies – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Applepie Moonshine - My Catholic Kitchen
- Holiday Spiced Mocha - Daily Dish Recipes
- Homemade Peppermint Mocha Mix - In the Kitchen with KP
- Homemade Kahlua - That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Meatless Mondays, Scrumptious Sundays, Crazy Sweet Tuesdays,