After a long week at work I love making quick and simple pasta dishes on Friday. It's a great way to end the week because they don't take long to prepare and pasta is my favorite food. A few months ago I blogged about Ravioli Florentine which combined ravioli with garlic butter, spinach, and bacon. While I absolutely love that dish, it is very high in fat.
Recently when I was reading one of my cooking magazines I came across a similar recipe that included apples and the drippings from the bacon. It sounded perfect for fall with the warm flavors and apples.
I loved the flavors in this dish. The ravioli was stuffed with cheese and spinach, then the salty bacon worked well with the sweet and tart apples as well as the spinach. It all came together with the garlic, lemon, salt, and pepper. This is a great dish for a cool fall night.
Ravioli with Apples, Bacon, and Spinach (adapted from Woman's Day)
16 oz. spinach and cheese ravioli
4 slices bacon
1 T. olive oil
4 garlic cloves
1 Gala apple, thinly sliced
2 c. fresh spinach
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. white wine
1. Cook the ravioli according to the package directions.
2. Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate. Allow to cool then break into pieces.
3. Add the garlic to the pan with the bacon drippings and heat for 1 minutes on medium heat. Add in the apple and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add in the spinach, salt, and pepper, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Stir in the lemon juice and white wine and heat for an additional minute.
5. Remove from heat and add the bacon and ravioli. Stir to combined.
This post linked to:
5 Minutes for Food, Foodtastic Friday, Shine on Friday,Seasonal Inspiration, Strut Your Stuff Saturday,