More and more these days it seems as though people are eating gluten free. We've recently been trying to cut back on our gluten and one way we've done it is by buying gluten free cereals. While my husband likes to eat his cereal in a bowl with milk I've been enjoying baking with the cereal.
For Christmas I wanted to make a treat to go with coffee or hot chocolate after dinner. I saw the box of Erewhon's Gluten Free Cocoa Crispy Cereal and immediately thought of hot chocolate. I made a twist on the classic Rice Krispy Treat recipe using gluten free ingredients, hot cocoa mix, and extra marshmallows.
The crispy treats were awesome! They tasted like hot cocoa with marshmallows rolled into a hand held treat. I wouldn't have known they were gluten free if I hadn't been the one to make them. These are perfect for a winter snack served with hot cocoa or hot coffee.
Gluten Free Hot Cocoa Crispy Treats (a Hezzi-D original)
2 1/2 c. Kraft mini marshmallows
4 T. butter
2 packets Swiss Miss milk chocolate hot cocoa mix
3 c. Erewhon's Gluten Free Cocoa Crispy Cereal
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1. Spray an 11 x 7 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once it is melted add the hot cocoa mix and stir well.
3. Add in 2 cups of the marshmallows and mix until they have melted.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa crispy cereal. Mix well. Just before pouring the crispy treats into the pan mix in the remaining marshmallows.
5. Pour into the prepared pan and use a greased spatula to pat it into the pan. Allow to cool for at least an hour.
6. Before serving heat the chocolate chips in the microwave for 60 seconds. Once melted spoon into a zip top baggie, snip off the end, and drizzle the treats with chocolate.
7. Cut into 15 pieces and serve.
This post linked to:
Scrumptious Sundays, Think Pink Sundays,Crazy Sweet Tuesdays, Whatcha Whipped Up,