A few weeks back I bought a rather large bag of lemon chips. They are lemon flavored white chips and I've been thinking of creative ways to use them ever since. Yesterday blueberries were on sale at the market and what goes better then lemons and blueberries?
I set off to find a healthier blueberry muffin recipes because we've been trying to watch what we eat. It's also the theme for this month's What's Baking by Catherine from Pursuing Domestic Goddess-ness.
I found one that uses applesauce, low fat yogurt, and egg whites. I was a little skeptical to say the least. I shouldn't have been because they turned out golden brown and bursting with flavor!
The muffins were just slightly sweet and had tons of blueberries in them. The lemon chips had slightly melted and added a sweet and lemony flavor. Best of all these muffins come in at under 150 calories and just around 5 grams of fat. They were perfect for breakfast and an afternoon snack.
Lowfat Blueberry Lemon Chip Muffins (adapted from Muffins: 40 Tantalizing Recipe for Tasty Muffins by Gemma Reece)
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. sugar
3 egg whites
3 T. butter, melted
1/2 c. applesauce
1/4 c. lowfat vanilla (or plain) yogurt
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. lemon juice
3/4 c. fresh blueberries
1/3 c. lemon chips
zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl whisk the egg whites together. Add in the butter, applesauce, yogurt, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Gently fold in the blueberries. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
5. Gently fold in the lemon chips and lemon zest.
6. Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups. Fill each cup 3/4 of the way full.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack.
This post linked to:
Meatless Mondays, Bulletin Board, Mop It Up Monday,