I'm always looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. It seems that most of the time I'm eating the same vegetables over and over again. I love "hiding" vegetables in dishes that don't traditionally have veggies in them.
This recipe combines long grain white rice with chicken broth, cheese, and zucchini. The cheese makes the rice stick together and gives it a creaminess. The zucchini adds a beautiful green color but it blends in nicely with the rice. This side is a great way to sneak a few cups of vegetables into a flavorful side dish.
Cheesy Zucchini Rice (adapted from Buns In My Oven)
1 t. olive oil
1 c. long grain white rice
2 c. chicken broth
1 T. butter
1 medium zucchini, grated
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. black pepper
1/2 t. salt
1 T. milk
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add in the rice and stir to coat. Toast the rice for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, until it begins to turn golden brown.
3. Pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
4. Cook for 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove from the heat and add the butter, zucchini, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
6. Pour in the tablespoon of milk, stir, and serve hot.
This post linked to:
Thursday Treasures, Tasty Thursday, Full Plate Thursday,