Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Grilled Eggplant and Tofu Steaks with Sticky Hoisin Glaze: Meatless Monday
Most weeks we have meatless dishes twice a week. I usually try to make Monday meatless and then we choose another day as well. Today was my first day back to school after the summer. Not that I had much of a summer because I taught summer school the entire month of July. However, I only taught Monday-Thursday from 8-1 so it was a much easier day.
Going back to work today was tough. We have an entire week of trainings and workshops before the kids come next week. Let me tell you, I’d much rather have the kids at school then be going through workshops and trainings. They make the day seem very long while days with the kids fly by (most of the time).
Today wasn’t too bad as we had meetings in the morning then worked in our classrooms in the afternoon. But since I was back to work all day I wanted to make something easy and something that Frank could grill so all I had to do was prepare it.
Since we have tofu every week that’s what I went with again. This time we served it along with eggplant in a hoisin glaze. I really enjoyed the tofu and eggplants being grilled as we usually don’t make it that way but it really firms up the tofu and make the eggplant slightly crispy. The hoisin glaze is rich, slightly sweet, and just a little bit spicy. It went great with the blank slate of the eggplant and tofu.
Grilled Eggplant and Tofu Steaks with Sticky Hoisin Glaze (adapted from Cooking Light 2013)
1 package of extra-firm tofu, drained
1/3 c. ketchup
3 T. hoisin sauce
3 T. lower sodium soy sauce
1 ½ T. rice vinegar
1 t. ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ t. Sriracha sauce
1 large eggplant, cut in half lengthwise and then into ½ inch thick slices
½ t. salt
1 t. black pepper
¼ c. green onions, sliced
1. Drain the tofu on paper towels. After it has drained for 20 minutes slice it into five ¾ inch thick slices.
2. Combine the ketchup, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and Sriracha in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until it has thickened. Reserve ½ cup and use the rest to baste the eggplant and tofu on the grill.
3. Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
4. Brush the tofu and eggplant slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the slices on the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes. Flip them over, brush with the hoisin glaze, and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes. Flip over again and brush the other side with hoisin glaze.
5. Remove from grill. Serve over top of rice and sprinkle green onions on top.