Did you know that December is national brownie month? I had no idea so I’m glad that Nicole from Seven Ate Nine, the host for this month’s What’s Baking? challenge, asked us to make our most delicious brownie recipe in honor of this baker’s holiday.
Now as many of my readers know, my absolute favorite brownie recipe is my chocolate chip cookie dough brownies with chocolate ganache. The chocolate chip cookies are baked right into the brownie and then the ganache is spread over the top of it. I just recently found a decadent chocolate brownie with unbaked cookie dough on top of it. Of course when I tried it, I just couldn’t resist putting chocolate ganache on top.
This version of the chocolate chip cookie dough brownie is super sweet and amazing. The brownie is rich and chewy, the cookie dough is refrigerated and sets perfectly on top of the brownie. The chocolate ganache is simply the “icing” on this brownie. I can’t decide which of my chocolate chip cookie dough brownie recipes is better…guess we better have a tasting soon!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies (adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)
For the Brownies:
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 c. unsalted butter
1 c. light brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 c. flour
For the cookie dough:
1/2 c. unsalted butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
3 T. low fat milk
2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. chocolate chips
For the ganache:
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/3 c. sweetened condensed milk
1-2 T. heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil. Butter the foil and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside and cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl mix the butter, brown sugar, and sugar with an electric mixture until it is light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the melted chocolate until just combined. Reduce the mixer speed and add the flour.
4. Spread the batter into the pan and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool completely.
5. In a medium bowl beat the butter and sugars for the cookie dough. Add in the milk and vanilla and stir until well combined. Mix in the flour until just combined. Use a spatula and fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Spread the cookie dough over top of the cooled brownies and place in the refrigerator.
7. Combine the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the chocolate begins melting. Add in the milk and continue to heat until the mixture is just completely melted.
8. Remove the cookie dough brownies from the refrigerate and immediately spread the ganache over top. Place back in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
9. When ready to serve lift the brownies out by the foil. Slice into squares and enjoy.