When I went to Mixed Conference at the end of November I was really looking forward to the conference sessions. They were better then expected and I learned a lot about cake decorating, cookie decorating, photography, and food styling. What I didn’t expect was meeting so many amazing sponsors and learning about their products. Not only did I get to try some new food products I also found some that I really love
One of those products in Dreamfields Pasta. The difference between Dreamfields pasta and all other pasta brands is their patented manufacturing process that protects most of the carbohydrates from being absorbed. That means that one serving of their pasta, which is approximately 1 cup cooked, has 5 grams of fiber and only 5 grams of digestible carbs. This makes it ideal for everyone, including those who are watching their weight or maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
While at the conference I met Liz and Liz from Dreamfields pasta and was able to chat with them about their product. I also spoke with them after the conference and they sent me a few boxes of pasta to use to try some new recipes. I was excited to get started and the first thing that popped into my head was roasted vegetable pasta. I then took it a step further and added herbs and Parmesan cheese.
The result is a delicious, flavorful, and healthy pasta dish. It also doesn’t hurt that all the colorful vegetables make it beautiful as well. Most of the flavor in the dish comes from the herb roasted vegetables. There’s a simple sauce made of chicken broth, white wine, and lemon juice to go along with it.
Herb and Parmesan Roasted Vegetable Pasta (a Hezzi-D original)
2 c. broccoli florets
2 c. cauliflower florets
1 red pepper, julienned
1 green pepper, julienned
1 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise then diced
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 T. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. thyme
1 t. rosemary
1 t. majoram
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
13.25 oz. Dreamfields Penne Rigate
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth if making vegetarian)
1/2 c. dry white wine
1-2 T. lemon juice
2 T. fresh chopped parsley
1 t. fresh ground black pepper
2 oz. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper, green pepper, yellow squash, and onion. Add in the olive oil and toss to coat.
3. Place the vegetables on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the vegetables from the oven. Sprinkle with the thyme, rosemary, majoram, salt, pepper, and garlic. Use a spoon and mix to combine. Return to vegetables to the oven for 25 additional minutes.
5. Meanwhile heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the butter starts to brown add in the flour and mix well to make a roux. Heat for 1 minute.
6. Slowly add in the chicken broth, stirring constantly. Once the broth has combined with the roux add in the white wine and lemon juice. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
7. Cook the penne rigate pasta according to the package directions. Drain and add to the skillet with the sauce. Toss to coat.
8. Remove the vegetables from the oven and add to the skillet. Toss to coat.
9. Spoon the pasta and vegetables onto plates and serve with chopped parsley, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper.