There’s nothing more romantic then an Italian meal by candlelight. So for Valentine’s Day I’ve been trying to think of a healthier pasta dish to make for my sweetheart. It’s not that I don’t love a big bowl of pasta topped off with marinara sauce because I do. It’s just that I don’t want to eat all of my daily calories in that one bowl of pasta
I had a lot of vegetables in my refrigerator so I decided to make a vegetable lasagna with my homemade vodka sauce. I used Dreamfields Pasta lasagna noodles because of their patented manufacturing process that protects most of the carbohydrates from being absorbed. The noodles are also sturdy which makes for a wonderful lasagna.
I only used 9 lasagna noodles instead of 12 to cut back as well. I sauteed a pan full of delicious fresh vegetables and mixed them with the ricotta cheese. The lasagna stacked up neatly and cooked to a gooey, golden brown. The first bite was incredible. Vodka sauce, vegetables, and plenty of cheese made this a great special occasion dish. Along with a glass of wine and candlelight this made for an amazing dinner.
Vegetable Lasagna with Vodka Sauce (a Hezzi-D original)
9 Dreamfields lasagna noodles
1 T. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 carrots, shredded
1/2 green pepper, chopped
4 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 leek (white and light green parts only), chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. fresh spinach
1/2 c. fresh kale
1 t. oregano
1 t. parsley
1/2 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 1/2 c. ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
2 c. mozzarella cheese, divided
4 c. vodka sauce
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain.
3. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add in the onion, carrots, and pepper and saute for 4-5 minutes.
4. Add in the mushrooms, leek, garlic, spinach, and kale and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.
5. Stir the ricotta cheese and 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese into the vegetables and mix well.
6. Spread 1 cup of the vodka sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Place 3 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Spread with half of the vegetable ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of remaining cheese, then 1 cup of the sauce.
7. Repeat with another layer of noodles, vegetables, cheese, and sauce. Top with remaining noodles, then the remaining sauce. Finally sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
8. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.