Today is my little brother’s birthday! Last year he turned the big 3-0 and this year he is turning 31 as an engaged man. I can’t believe he’s getting married but I absolutely love his fiancee and can’t wait for her to join our family. This week for our #weekdaysupper I wanted to share a recipe that I know my baby brother would love. Since both the #SundaySupper movement and the #weekdaysupper movement are all about gathering family around the dinner table I thought it would be nice to share a recipe that I can’t wait to make for him the next time he comes to my house. He is a HUGE fan of both cheese and spicy foods and I think he’ll love this dish.
Do you ever see a picture of a meal and your mouth literally starts to water? That’s exactly what happened to me when I took a look at this Jalapeno Popper Quiche. I love anything that has to do with jalapeno poppers; they are seriously delicious! I immediately read through the recipe to see if I could make it the day I saw it but I needed a few ingredients so it went on the menu plan for the next week. It’s also super easy to make and pop in the oven so it’s perfect for a weeknight meal.
I ended up leaving out the bacon and adding in a little extra cheese. Unfortunately I had a slight mishap after putting it in the oven. Some of the egg leaked over top of the pie crust and went behind it in the pie pan! I have never had that happen to me before and I was a little upset because I thought the quiche might have been ruined. I shouldn’t have worried because the egg firmed up and even though a small portion was behind the crust, it still tasted great.
Part of the reason it tasted so good is that we used the eggs from our CSA share and they were amazing. There’s nothing quite like fresh eggs. The jalapenos in the recipe were definitely spicy but the cream cheese cooled it down while the cheddar cheese really stood out. My husband and I both really enjoyed our slices and it made for a great summer dinner along with a fresh green salad.
Jalapeno Popper Quiche (adapted from Real Housemoms)
1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
4 oz. Philadelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese
3 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and seeded
5 large eggs
1 c. low fat milk
1/3 c. shredded gruyere cheese
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. paprika
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the pie crust in a pie pan and crimp the edges. Bake for 10 minutes then remove from the oven.
3. Spread the cream cheese on the bottom of the pie pan. Slice two of the jalapenos and place them on top of the cream cheese.
4. In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add in the milk, gruyere cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour over top of the jalapenos.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the quiche from the oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Slice the remaining jalapeno and place the slices on top. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve hot.
Make sure to check out all of the other delicious #WeekdaySupper meals posted this week:
Monday – Cravings of a Lunatic – Farmer’s Market Pasta
Tuesday – Basic N Delicious – Salmon Tacos
Wednesday – Noshing With The Nolands – Baked Lemon Sole with Parmesan Crust
Thursday – Shockingly Delicious – Healthier Santa Fe Frito Pie
Friday – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks – Jalapeno Popper Quiche