I’m nearing the end of my All About Flour series. I hope you’ve enjoyed it as much as I have. One of the flours I saved for last was the gluten free brown rice flour. I’ve never really tried this flour before and the fact that it was gluten free made me a little cautious as well. I actually went to the King Arthur Flour website to find the recipe I used for this flour.
I didn’t want to make another bread. I didn’t want to make dinner rolls. When I saw the recipe for crackers I was intrigued. When I saw that the recipe included cheese I was in. I figured if nothing else the cheese would help the flavor of the brown rice flour.
I kept the seasonings the same but switched up the cheeses somewhat. In the end the dough for these crackers is very delicate but the actual crackers gets crispy and delicious. My husband said they tasted like homemade Cheez-Its so I knew they were a winner. We ate them for a snack and I took them to school to munch on. They were really good and I liked knowing they were gluten free.
Gluten Free Cheese Crackers (adapted from King Arthur Flour)
3/4 c. King Arthur Gluten-Free Brown Rice Flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t. mustard powder
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. paprika
4 T. butter
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1 t. white vinegar
1 t. water
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Mix well.
3. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Using your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture becomes crumbly.
5. In a small bowl combine the egg, vinegar, and water. Mix well.
6. Pour the egg into the flour mixture and mix until a dough forms.
7. Lightly dust a piece of parchment paper with brown rice flour. Place the dough ball onto the parchment and flatten with your hand. Dust with more brown rice flour and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness.
9. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet.
10. Store the crackers in an air tight container.