When I pulled in the driveway at 1:00pm today I was exhausted. I’d had a 5 hour workshop in the morning, was starving, and couldn’t think of a single thing I wanted for lunch. While pondering exactly what I could make I noticed a package on my front porch. I went to check it out and saw the side that said “Perishable”. I immediately started grinning in hopes that my lunch was inside that box.
Lucky for me it was! I received a vegetarian box from Blue Apron. What is Blue Apron? I’m glad you asked. It’s a service that sends you a box filled with all the fresh ingredients you need to prepare 3 meals. Everything is packaged, labeled, and ready to go and there are full color photos and recipe cards that go along with the ingredients. Plus there’s no shipping cost! Blue Apron charges $9.99 per person, per meal. There is a vegetarian and a meat option. My box was a vegetarian box.
Included in the box was all the produce, spices, and ingredients needed to make Heirloom Tomato & Fontina Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Dijon Green Beans, Smoky Swiss Chard & Black Bean Tostadas, and Dal Bhat. The produced all looked fresh and the spices were packaged in individual bags. I opted to try the grilled cheese and green beans for lunch because I was hungry and it looked delicious.
The step by step directions made it super easy to cook this meal. It was prepared, cooked, and on a plate in 15 minutes. I was surprised by just how good it tasted! I’m not a huge tomato fan but the tomato with the creamy fontina, crisp red onions, and rocket was incredible! Then the green beans were cooked to tender crisp and the Dijon dressing was tangy and delicious. It was a fresh meal that was easy to prepare and tasted good. Plus the recipe cards have the number of calories for each meal written right on them. Each meal is between 500-700 calories so they are healthy too!
Heirloom Tomato & Fontina Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (recipe from Blue Apron)
4 oz. Fontina Cheese
1 Heirloom Tomato
1 Red Onion
1 oz. Rocket
4 Slices Sourdough Bread
1 T. butter
1. Prepare the ingredients for the grilled cheese sandwiches. Slice the fontina cheese into thick slices. Slice the tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Peel the onion and cut it in half. Slice half of the onion into thin rings.
2. Lay the sourdough slices on a cutting board. Top two of the slices of bread with the fontina cheese slices. Then place the tomatoes on top of the cheese. Divide the onions between the sandwiches and top with rocket.
3. Place the other two slices of bread on top of the sandwiches and lightly spread butter over top of the sandwiches.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches, butter side down, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, spread the remaining butter on the exposed sides of the bread. Flip the sandwiches over and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve on two plates.
I received this box from Blue Apron but all opinions and photos are 100% my own.