I love making entree salads. They are so easy to make and yet filling enough that we don’t need much more then a side of bread or rolls with them. I’m also happy that I joined #TheSaladBar because I’ve found myself making new salads that we’ve really enjoyed. This month the theme was Asian inspired salads.
I’ve had a sesame ginger chicken salad pinned forever so having the Asian theme this month finally had me making this salad. It was pretty warm again last week so it was nice that I didn’t have to turn on the oven to make dinner. Plus, the actual salad part of this one is so pretty! Lots of chopped vegetables in an array of vibrant colors.
The chicken is marinaded in a sesame ginger sauce that later on doubles as the dressing. The salad is made from lettuce, cabbage, and carrots so there’s plenty of crunch going on here. After cooking the chicken it ends up lightly glazed and goes so well with the Sesame Ginger dressing. I served these with dinner rolls but I think it would be fun to serve them with egg rolls as well!
Sesame Ginger Chicken Salad (adapted from Menu Musings of a Modern American Mom)
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 T. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1/4 c. olive oil
2 T. hoisin sauce
1 T. sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. Sriracha sauce
1 t. black pepper
1 T. sesame seeds
2 chicken breasts
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. green onions, chopped
1 t. honey
2 c. Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
2 c. iceberg lettuce
2 carrots, grated
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
1 T. sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, ginger, olive oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, garlic cloves, Sriracha, black pepper, and sesame seeds. Add half of the mixture to a gallon sized zip top bag and add in the chicken breasts. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, add the vinegar, green onions, and honey to the remaining marinade in order to make the dressing. Cover and chill.
3. To make the salad toss together the cabbage, lettuce, carrots, green onions, cilantro, and sesame seeds. Set aside.
4. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and saute for 10-12 minutes or until it is cooked through. Remove from the pan and thinly slice.
5. Divide the salad between 4 plates and top with the sliced chicken. Serve with sesame ginger dressing.