We eat a lot of tofu in our house. I actually make it about once a week because it’s a great source of protein but it’s also great for a vegetarian meal. I find myself mostly making Asian tofu entrees because it’s so easy to stir fry the tofu and add in veggies and sauce. However, there are some weeks when I’m just not feeling the tofu.
Several months ago I made Bang Bang Chicken. I loved the sweet and spicy dipping sauce that paired with it. So when I came across a Bang Bang Tofu recipe I couldn’t wait to try it. I was a little concerned that the tofu wouldn’t get crispy enough because of the batter but the outside crisped up nicely and gave the tofu a nice crunch.
Paired with the same spicy dipping sauce this was a nice alternative to Asian style tofu. It was also easy to eat with my fingers and I think it would be great as an appetizer as well. Either way the tofu was crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and tasted great with the Bang Bang Sauce.
- ½ c. light mayonnaise
- ¼ c. sweet chili sauce
- 2 T. Frank's red hot
- 1 T. honey
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) package extra firm tofu
- 1 c. low fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 T. Frank's Red Hot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c. flour
- ½ c. cornstarch
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1½ c. breadcrumbs
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the milk, egg, Red Hot, and garlic cloves in a small bowl. Mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, paprika, sea salt, and black pepper. Mix well. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Pour the breadcrumbs into a shallow dish and set aside.
- Pat the tofu dry and cut into 5 slices. Cut each slice in half and then on a diagonal.
- Dip each tofu triangle into the flour and milk mixture allowing excess to drip off. Roll in the breadcrumbs and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking. Remove from oven and serve with dipping sauce.