One of my first Starbucks drinks was a Chai Tea Latte. This was back in high school when I didn’t drink coffee. I loved the sweet creamy tea that was spiced with chai. It was one of my favorite winter drinks and still is whenever I’m not feeling good. There’s something comforting about sweet warm milk with with spices.
My mother is not a coffee drinker but she has been known to enjoy a cup of chai tea or even a chai latte. Since it’s Mother’s Day I wanted to make a treat that she would enjoy. I figured the spices in the chai combined with a combination of berries would be perfect for brunch.
But first I had a question, what exactly is chai? I honestly didn’t know and figured it was just a random combination of spices in tea. It turns out I’m right! There is no set spices in chai, it’s simply tea with spices in it. I personally really enjoy cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and pepper in my chai.
Thinking about chai tea lattes had me searching for a baked good that could satisfy my craving at the end of the summer when it’s too hot to drink these. I found the perfect recipe in one of my cookbooks. The Chai Berry Muffins were delicious. They were moist and the berries tasted amazing with the chai spices. I thought they were great for breakfast and my mom agrees! Happy Mother’s Day Mom!
Chai Berry Muffins ( adapted from Bake and Destroy: Good Food For Bad Vegans by Natalie Slater )
3/4 c. vanilla almond milk
2 black tea bags
1 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. cardamom
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 c. frozen berries (I used strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
2 T. flax seeds
3 T. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
2. Heat the almond milk in the microwave until steaming but not boiling. Add the tea bags and steep for 5 minutes. Discard the tea bags.
3. In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, salt, and pepper. Stir in the frozen berries.
4. Add in the almond milk, flax seeds, water, and vegetable oil and stir until just combined. The batter will be lumpy.
5. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 of the way full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.