Each month I have some type of behavioral reward for my students at school. It’s a great incentive for those students that have difficulties and those that always behave get something for their good behavior as well. I find that many times it’s only the students who have difficulties that get offered incentives to have good behavior. My feeling is that every student should be rewarded for appropriate behavior even if they have it all the time.
Plus, I have students that are good 99% of the time but there is that 1% when they fall. They are completely devastated if that one mistake causes them to not earn the monthly reward. You may think this is to harsh but let me tell you, the kids that truly understand my system don’t make the same bad choice again. Of course, I have the students that almost never earn the reward but when they do, it’s something they are extremely proud of and we make a big deal out of it.
The reward varies from month to month. Sometimes we eat lunch together and I’ll have a prize raffle and other times we’ll have lunch and then a pile of desserts afterwards. I wish I could do more but prizes and desserts cost money. Thankfully I have a wonderful instructional assistant who helps me out with both the parties and the baking of the desserts. We both enjoy baking so it’s fun to make treats that fit the season.
Since I’ve been so busy lately, I needed to make a treat that the kids would enjoy but that wouldn’t take me too long. These spring flower chocolate pretzels were perfect. I could do a tray of 20 of them at a time and it took less then 15 minutes per tray. They are simple to make and the only problem I had was the chocolate setting. A few minutes in the refrigerator fixed that right up. The kids enjoyed them and I enjoyed making them!
- 50 mini pretzel twists
- 50 Hershey's Hugs (or Kisses)
- 1 bag mini M & M's
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Separate the mini M & M's into piles of the same color. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place 20 pretzel twists on it. Unwrap 20 Hugs and place one on each pretzel. Place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press down on each Hug with the back of a small spoon. Working quickly choose 1 mini M&M for the center of the Hug. Choose a complimentary color for the flower petals. Quickly place 5 mini M&M's around the center M&M to make the flower petals. After you've finished all 20 pop the tray in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to set the chocolate.
- Repeat with remaining pretzels and Hugs.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.