It’s our second week of our CSA. This week we received salad mix, two heads of lettuce, a huge bag of kale, fresh basil, and fresh rosemary. I was happy to see the lettuce and salad mix again this week because we eat a lot of salads in the summer. It’s a quick and easy lunch or a dinner that we don’t have to cook. The rosemary and basil are easy to use. The basil went into a pasta dish and the rosemary I used on potatoes and in my quiche.
I decided to use the kale in a quiche. I enjoy making different flavors of quiche because it’s easy to do. Simply choose vegetables, a meat if desired, a cheese, and mix with eggs and herbs. I had a package of hot Italian sausage in the refrigerator so I put that and the kale in the quiche. I still had some of the rosemary leftover and mixed that in as well. The cheese was harder. My first thought was to go with Swiss but then when I was searching I found the Skellig.
Skellig is a sweet cheddar cheese. I added it to the quiche to counteract the hot Italian sausage and it worked really well in the quiche. The quiche was so flavorful. It was spicy from the Italian sausage, a touch sweet from the cheddar, and had a lot of rosemary flavor. My husband and I both really enjoyed this quiche and I can’t wait to make it again soon!
- 3 Hot Sausage links
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c. milk
- 1½ c. fresh kale, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 t. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 c. Kerrygold Skellig cheese, shredded (or other sweet cheddar cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium skillet heat the sausage over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Add in the onions and garlic and cook for 5 additional minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the pie crust in a pie pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and milk together. Add in the kale, red bell pepper, rosemary, and ¾ c. of cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Add in the sausage mixture and mix until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the quiche is set in the center and the crust is browned. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.