I am so done with work this year. The past 2 weeks have been craziness. The school is hot, it’s gorgeous outside, and the kids do not want to be inside the building. My particular little darlings have been rebelling more then normal which has caused a major disruption in my teaching. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy my kids and my job but by this point in the year we all need a break from one another.
Last summer I had to teach summer school which isn’t bad because it’s only a half day but I think the fact that I only had 3 weeks off in the summer made me less then ready to come back this year which in turn is making me more ready then ever to get out! Luckily I don’t have to work this summer so I plan on doing a lot of relaxing and a lot of cooking.
Earlier in the week I made these amazing Sweet and Spicy Chili Chicken Strips for dinner. I’m a sucker for fried chicken strips with delicious sauces on them and this one was no exception. The chicken is dipped in panko and fried to golden brown. I added in some broccoli as well because let’s face it, this meal could use some added nutrition.
The sauce is what really makes this chicken. It’s a combination of soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and other delicious Asian flavors. The broccoli and chicken are tossed with the sauce and really soak up the flavors. The recipe below is a double batch of the sauce. I ended up pouring half the sauce on top of the chicken and using the other half as a dipping sauce. Such a yummy chicken dish!
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 4 T. lite soy sauce
- 3 T. rice vinegar
- 4 T. sweet chili sauce
- 2 t. cornstarch
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 egg
- 1 T. milk
- 1½ c. panko breadcrumbs
- 1 t. black pepper
- 2 c. broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- Place all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the milk and egg in a dish and beat well to combine. Place the panko and black pepper in another shallow dish.
- Place the chicken in the egg mixture and then press into the panko mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the chicken over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side or until it is fully cooked.
- Add the broccoli and sesame seeds to the skillet and then add half of the sauce. Toss to coat and then heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and broccoli with additional sauce on the side.