Moving right along in bacon month I knew I wanted to include a Cobb salad. It’s one of my favorite entrees with bacon because it gives the perfect amount crispness and salt to a delicious salad.
We love big salads in our house in the summer. They are healthy and I don’t have to turn on the oven to make them. While I make a lot of taco salads and grilled chicken salads, sometimes I want something big and beautiful. Cobb salads are great for that but they get old as well. Then I came across this amazing Caribbean Cobb salad. This isn’t your traditional Cobb.
This salad does have chicken, bacon, tomato, and avocado which I think are very important elements of a Cobb salad. But them it takes it to another level with fresh mango, bell peppers, and scallions. With the farmer’s market every week it was super easy to put together the ingredients for the salad. I was a little worried about the mango in the salad because my husband isn’t too fond of fruits in his dinner but I thought I’d risk it.
The best thing about the salad is the dressing. It’s a spicy pineapple vinaigrette. Again, while I thought it sounded amazing I was worried what my husband would think. However, he loves pineapple and jalapenos so I thought I might be able to sway him.
Putting the salad together is easy. Simply layer all the ingredients on top of some crisp lettuce. The dressing is easy to make as well. Grill the peppers and pineapple then throw them into a food processor with a few other ingredients and you are finished! I served it for dinner and both my husband and I loved it. He told me he wasn’t sure about the fruity dressing but that having the jalapenos in with it made it perfect. I know we’ll be having this salad all summer long.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 T. Jerk seasoning
- 4 c. lettuce (I used a combination of iceberg and romaine)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ¼ c. scallions, chopped
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 c. pineapple, cubed
- 2 T. honey
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- Heat a grill to medium high heat.
- Place the pineapple on a skewer then place the jalapenos and pineapple on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes, turning every minute or so. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the jerk seasoning. Place on the grill and cook for 5 minutes per side or until it is cooked through. Remove to a plate and let rest 5 minutes. Chop into pieces.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the lettuce and divide between two large plates.
- Starting at one side of the salad layer the bell pepper, mango, avocado, chicken, bacon, cheese, and tomato onto the salad.
- Sprinkle the salad with the scallions then set aside.
- Carefully cut the tops off the jalapenos and scoop out the seeds. Put the jalapenos, pineapple, and dressing ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Drizzle the salads with dressing and serve.