This post is sponsored by Markerly and Beyond Meat but all opinions are 100% my own.
My husband and I eat vegetarian meals several times a week. I find that it’s often cheaper to make vegetarian meals and it’s better for us when we do. Many of my vegetarian meals include tofu, pasta, or beans. I’m always looking for great vegetarian options that substitute for meat. So when I saw that Beyond Meat has Beyond Beef Crumbles I couldn’t wait to try them. My husband is already a big fan of Beyond Chicken Strips so I knew he’d love the Beyond Beef Crumbles.
So are you wondering what Beyond Meat really is? Their mission statement is “We believe there is a better way to feed the planet.” The main mission is to create mass-market solutions that replace animal proteins with plant proteins. In doing this, they are improving human health, positively impacting climate change, conserving natural resources, and respecting animal welfare. Some of their biggest investors are Bill Gates and Biz Stone & Evan Williams, co-founders of Twitter. Beyond Meat has even been featured on The Today Show as well as in the New York Times.
Beyond Meat Beef Crumbles are soy free and are made with 100% Non-GMO pea protein. They are also gluten free and kosher. Beyond Beef Crumbles have 10 grams of protein which is the same as ground beef but they have no cholesterol, saturated fat, or trans fat. They also come in two delicious flavors. The Beefy has a hint of garlic and citrus while the Feisty has a zesty blend of beef crumbles.
I haven’t seen them in our local stores so when I checked the store locator I found that they are available at the Co-op located about an hour from me. Since we go there more then once a month, it’s nice to know that we can pick up a bag whenever we are in town.
So when I went to make something with the Beyond Beef Crumbles the first thing that my husband said was tacos. Of course tacos are so boring but thinking along those lines we remembered watching Cook’s Country this weekend and watching them make homemade chimichanga’s. While I didn’t have a recipe, it was fresh enough in my mind that I thought I could make something similar with the beef crumbles.
I made a delicious vegetarian chimichanga filled with Beyond Beef Crumbles, cheese, rice, and pinto beans. I fried them to a crisp golden brown and served them with homemade salsa, homemade guacamole, and some sour cream. While we were eating them, my husband and I both agreed that we would not have known that the beef crumbles were vegetarian if we hadn’t known. They have a very similar texture and in the chimichanga’s they tasted like beef.
- 1½ c. vegetable broth
- 1 c. instant brown rice
- 1 c. pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1 package Beyond Meat Beef Crumbles
- 1 T. cumin
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- 6 burrito sized tortillas
- 2 T. flour
- 2 T. water
- 1 c. cheddar cheese
- Vegetable Oil
- Salsa, sour cream, and guacamole for serving
- In a large skillet combine the vegetable broth, brown rice, pinto beans, green chilies, Beyond Meat Beef Crumbles, and cumin. Mix well.
- Place a lid over the skillet and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes. Remove the lid and stir well then cover and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add in the salt, pepper, and cilantro. Stir well.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds to soften them. Set aside.
- Combine the flour and water. Mix well and set aside.
- Take a tortilla and fill it with the rice mixture. Top with 3 tablespoons of cheese.
- Fold in one side and brush with the flour mixture. Press the other side on the flour mixture to seal. Then brush the flour mixture on either end and fold it up, pressing to seal. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. When it reaches 300 degrees add in the chimichangas. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spatula and place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining chimichangas.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
Do you want to try Beyond Meat? Enter the giveaway below1 Everyone who enters will receive a FREE Beyond Meat coupon! 5 people will get Beyond Meat SWAG kits including t-shirts, hats and coupons for Beyond Meat, and 1 Person Gets: a SWAG kit plus a $100 gift card to a Beyond Meat Retail Partner of their choosing. How awesome is that? Enter below!