It’s raining, it’s pouring, Hezzi-D is baking! I know that’s not how the song goes but I’m enjoying what I like to call a “rainy bake day”. I’ve already baked a Bundt cake, a butternut cake, and some muffins and now I have this bread ready to go into the oven. My husband is at an auction and I’ve got the book “The Fault in Our Stars” in my CD player. Have you read this book before? It’s a seriously powerful book about teenagers with cancer and their outlook on life. It’s fictional but it really spoke to me. I listened to 4 out of the 6 CD’s while I finished baking.
Since I’ve had an abundance of zucchini from our CSA share I wanted to make zucchini bread. I’ve made zucchini bread plenty of times before but for some reason I couldn’t find my recipe. I found a recipe in my new Eats cookbook and found one. I added in some chocolate chips for good measure and made a rainy day zucchini bread.
The bread turned out well. It was crunchy and golden brown around the edges but soft and moist on the inside. The chocolate chips melted and left gooey patches of goodness all through the bread. I ended up enjoying this bread for breakfast and for snack for a few days.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread (adapted from Eats: enjoy all the seasons by Mary Rolph Lamontagne)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. applesauce
1 T. vanilla
1 large zucchini, grated (about 2 cups)
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1/2 t. salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl beat the eggs with the sugar, vegetable oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Add the zucchini and stir until combined.
4. In a medium bowl combine the flours, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips, pecans, and salt. Mix to combine then add to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
5. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Note: I had enough batter left over to fill 1 mini loaf pan as well.