It’s the end of summer here and the zucchini is out in droves. Today is National Acorn Squash Day so Sunday Supper is celebrating with a squash fest! That means recipes for all of those wonderful squash that are in season right now.
They have zucchini all over the farmer’s market, in our CSA, and in my mom’s garden. I am a lover of zucchini but after a month or so of having so much of it, it gets old. I do have a few favorite recipes I use with zucchini. I love baked zucchini sticks, zucchini brownies, and this grilled flatbread zucchini and squash pizza. I often end up making zucchini bread as well but I get tired of the same old recipes week after week.
So when I saw a recipe for Zucchini Lemon Ginger bread I thought it would be a great twist on a recipe I know I enjoy. The bread has fresh grated lemon peel, lemon juice, and lots of chopped ginger. The original recipe called for crystalized ginger but I just ran out of mine and had tons of fresh ginger so went with that instead.
The bread has the texture and look of classic zucchini bread. The lemon juice and zest really brighten up the bread and give it some extra spark. The ginger gives it a nice spice and the flavors of the ginger, lemon, and zucchini together are simply delicious. It’s such an easy bread to make and it’s really tasty. There’s also an optional lemon glaze which I’ve made once and is great, but the bread is so flavorful without it that I haven’t made it since the first time.
- 1 c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ½ t. ground ginger
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. nutmeg
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. olive oil
- 1 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1¼ c. shredded zucchini
- 3 T. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 T. grated lemon zest
- 2-3 T. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl beat the sugar and olive oil until well combined. Add in the egg and beat until mixed well. Add in the vanilla and then mix on high speed for 1 minute.
- Add the zucchini, fresh ginger, grated lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix by hand until just combined.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you want to make a simple lemon glaze, combine 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1-2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and mix until smooth. Pour over top of cooled bread.
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.