The week between Christmas and New Year’s is always a time that we visit with family and friends. While it’s nice to make a big, fancy dinner, sometimes it’s nice to enjoy a delicious but filling breakfast or brunch. This year I decided to make it easy on myself and make a one dish breakfast casserole with hot Italian sausage, eggs, hash browns, sauteed vegetables, and Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar Cheese.
Initially I wanted to make a quiche, hash browns, and sausage for the holiday brunch. However, after figuring out that I would need to be working on three different dishes required 3 different cooking times, I gave up on that idea and went for an Easy Breakfast Casserole that combined all the breakfast favorites into one dish.
It started like a quiche. I mixed together eggs, milk, and herbs in a bowl. Then I chose Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar Cheese because it’s the perfect breakfast cheese with it’s mellow, slightly sweet flavor. Next I picked bell peppers and onions sauteed in Kerrygold Garlic & Herb butter to help flavor the casserole. Then I picked Italian hot sausage to throw into the mix. I know this isn’t traditionally a breakfast sausage but I wanted to add some flavor and spice to the dish. I finished it off by mixing in the frozen hash browns.
This is a great breakfast casserole for compnay because most of it can be prepared a day or two in advance. The day before I made it I browned the sausage and placed it in a container. I grated the Kerrygold Skellig cheese and placed it in a baggie in the refrigerator. Then I sauteed the green peppers, red peppers, and onions in a bit of Kerrygold Garlic & Herb butter. When I was ready to make the casserole the next day it simply took me 10 minutes to pour everything into a large bowl and stir it together.
This casserole takes about 45 minutes to cook and when it comes out it looks beautiful. All of the goodies in the dish really give it a beautiful color. The red and green peppers add a festive touch to the breakfast as well. The flavor is wonderful. There’s a sweetness from the Skellig cheese and a spiciness from the sausage. It’s really an overall mix of breakfast flavors.
- ½ lb. Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 T. Kerrygold Garlic & Herb Butter
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 c. Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 c. frozen hash browns
- 5 eggs
- ¾ c. milk
- 1 t. black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray and 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook the Italian sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat the garlic & herb butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in the peppers and onion and saute for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs for 2 minutes. Add in the milk and beat for 30 seconds.
- Add in the hot sausage, sauteed vegetables, ¾ cup Skellig cheese, hash browns, and black pepper. Mix well and pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the casserole with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the edges are browned and the center has set. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
I received the Kerrygold products from the company but all opinions are 100% my own.