Spring is in the air…well it is now, though on Friday we got 5 inches of snow! How’s that for the first day of spring? I’m totally ready to celebrate spring now and our Sunday Supper group is sharing spring recipes this week. To me, nothing says spring like fresh berries and rhubarb.
Now that I have a rhubarb connection I’ve been making a lot more with my rhubarb then just jam. I’ve found some wonderful pie recipes and even cookie recipes. This is my first muffin recipe using rhubarb but it’s a good one.
Most of the time I find that rhubarb is paired with strawberries. It’s the most common pairing and it’s delicious. Sweet strawberries with the tart rhubarb make an excellent combination of flavors. I’ve recently realized that rhubarb pairs well with just about any berry and this blueberry rhubarb combination is no exception.
These muffins are easy to make and are great for breakfast, snacks, or even a healthier dessert. They are made like traditional muffins with added moisture and flavor from the sour cream. There is a large amount of both blueberries and rhubarb put into the muffins which gives the muffin it’s wonderful sweet and tart flavor. The blueberries practically burst in your mouth with every bite which is awesome for a later spring or early summer muffin.
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ¼ c. applesauce
- 1½ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. low fat sour cream
- 3 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- ½ c. milk
- 1½ c. fresh blueberries
- 1½ c. chopped fresh rhubarb
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the butter, applesauce, and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and sour cream and mix well.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk and mix well. Add the remaining egg mixture and beat until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and the rhubarb.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Want to meet some of your favorite Sunday Supper members, including me, in person? Join us for the Food and Wine Conference July 17-19 in Orlando. Register HERE and use the code FWC15kingh to receive $50 off your ticket price! Hope to see you there!
- Easter Egg Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Home-made Limoncello by Manu’s Menu
- Meyer Lemon Rosemary Martini by The Redhead Baker
- Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Hummus by Palatable Pastime
- Baked Lemon and Goat Cheese Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cauliflower Salad by Wallflour Girl
- Green Asparagus Soup with Seared Scallops by An Appealing Plan
- Panzanella Primavera by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salmon Berry and Almond Salad with Lemon Honey Dressing by Family Foodie
- Skillet Spinach Artichoke Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Asparagus Gribiche by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Early Peas with Pearl Onions in Cream by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Mustard Vinaigrette by Food Done Light
- Sauteed Artichokes & Potatoes by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Spring Green Rice by Magnolia Days
- Artichoke Pesto Pasta by PancakeWarriors
- Crispy Honey Chicken Spring Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Early Spring Risotto by Cooking Chat
- Honey Lemon Shrimp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Lamb Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Perfect Scrambled Eggs with Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Chives by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Quiche Florentine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Lamb Chops, Fontina Cheese Polenta with Asparagus and Mushrooms by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Root Vegetable Risotto by Momma’s Meals
- Spring Lemon Pasta by MealDiva
- Spring Pea & Chèvre Souffle by FoodieTots
- Spring Vegetable Risotto by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Salmon and Strawberry Spinach Salad with a Kentucky Maple Vinaigrette by Dandelion Greens
- Tilapia with Classic Pesto by Whole Food | Real Families
- Veal Stew with Spring Greens by The Texan New Yorker
- Berry Shortcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Coconut Macaroons by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Rhubarb Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Cookies by Noshing With The Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Gluten Free Healthy Hummingbird Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Cream Pie with Girl Scouts Lemonade Cookie Crust by Our Good Life
- Lemon Meringue Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Low-Fat Strawberry Muffins by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Matcha Strawberry Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Palm Sunday Easter Bread by Love and Confections
- Pretzels, Peanut Butter, and Beer Cake Recipe by Recipe for Perfection
- Sticky Carrot Squares by What Smells So Good?
- Three Berry Coconut Crispies by Simply Healthy Family
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement