This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SunsOutSpoonsOut #CollectiveBias
Summer is here and the sun has been shining! It’s been pretty hot in our house and my husband has been wanting ice cream. We’ve gone out to get ice cream or frozen yogurt several times but it gets expensive when we go out and get it. Last time we got frozen yogurt it was around $10.00 for two of them! So I’ve been looking for ice cream that I can buy and we can eat at home. It’s cheaper and most of the time it’s better too.
This past weekend while I was at Walmart there was a demo on Blue Bunny ice cream. I’m not sure I’ve ever had Blue Bunny but my first bite was blissful. The ice cream was smooth, creamy, and delicious. I tried the premium vanilla and the no sugar added vanilla. I have to admit I really liked both of them. I bought a container of the Blue Bunny Premium Vanilla ice cream and I also bought the Caramel Fudge Brownie Sundae ice cream.
When I got home I had an idea for a super fun summer treat that would be perfect for adults or kids. It’s a clown ice cream sundae. I can remember as a kid my parents taking my brother and I to some restaurant and at the end of our meal we would get a clown sundae. In my mind I picture this huge sundae with a sugar cone hat, red hair, and a big red nose. In actuality I’m not really sure what the clown ice cream sundae looked like, I can only remember how good it tasted and how much fun we had eating it. I was determined to recreate it using the Blue Bunny Premium Vanilla ice cream.
The first thing I had to do was look around the house and find something to use for the eyes, the nose, the mouth, and the hair. I knew there were some cones in the pantry I could use for the hat. I wanted to go simple so I used mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips for the eyes. For the mouth I used a piece of licorice. The nose is made out of a red gummy ring with a pink candy in the center. The hair was a major issue for me. I finally decided on whipped cream and sprinkles to use for it.
I set to work by building the head of the clown. It was hot the day I made it and it was melting like crazy. I found the best thing to do was to scoop the ice cream, shape it into a ball, put it in a dish, and then freeze it for 10 minutes before putting on the clown’s face. When I pulled the ice cream out of the freezer it was hard and perfect for putting on the clown’s face.
The eyes, nose, and mouth went on easily. I simply pressed them into ice cream. I had a little trouble with the whipped cream as it didn’t want to get fluffy, but I managed. I sprinkled on some colored sprinkles, put on the cone hat, and I had an adorable clown ice cream sundae! It was just so cute. My husband and I each enjoyed one and talked about how kids would love these. I can’t wait to make them for my cousins later on in the summer. I know they’ll love these fun and delicious ice cream treats!
- 2 c. Blue Bunny vanilla ice cream
- 4 mini marshmallows
- 4 mini chocolate chips
- 2 circular gummy candies (either pink or red)
- 2 pink candies (shaped like a ball)
- 4 pieces of shoestring licorice
- Whipped Cream
- 2 sugar cones
- Using an ice cream scoop, place 2 half cup scoops of Blue Bunny vanilla ice cream into two bowls. Place in the freeze.
- Place 1 mini chocolate chip in the center of each mini marshmallow and set aside.
- Place the pink ball shaped candy in the middle of the pink or red gummy candy and set aside.
- Take two pieces of shoestring licorice, press them together, then fold them in half. Twist them into half moon shapes for the clowns mouth.
- When ready to put the sundaes together remove the ice cream from the freezer. Quickly place the mini marshmallows as the eyes, the gummy candy as the nose, and the licorice as the mouth.
- Spray the whipped cream on top as hair, sprinkle on sprinkles, and place the cone upside down on top of the hair, making a clown hat.
Be sure to visit Blue Bunny on Twitter | Pinterest | Facebook. Then check out the Blue Bunny website and take a look at the flavors. My current favorite is Caramel Fudge Brownie Sundae. I’d love to hear your favorite!
Want to try Blue Bunny ice cream for yourself? Blue Bunny will be partnering with Chips Ahoy and will be doing demos in Walmart on July 4th! Check out the store list HERE.