I am still loving pears. They are so juicy and flavorful yet firm and delicious. While I love eating them for lunch, I can’t always eat as many as I buy for the week. So when it comes to the end of the week I often start thinking of things to bake with my leftover fruit.
This past week I remembered seeing a delicious looking pear bran muffin on Renee’s website. I love the taste of bran in muffins and thought it would be perfect with the sweet pears. The best part is that these are heart healthy and perfect for breakfast.
Instead of using butter these muffin use applesauce and olive oil as the source of fat. Both are better for you and make the muffins moist and delicious. There are also some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger added to the muffin that adds a spicy flavor them. Finally, the pears add a juicy flavor that is perfect against the bran flavor.
I love these muffins for breakfast or as a snack on the go. I feel good about eating them and they aren’t too heavy and don’t weight me down. If you don’t have pears you could easily substitute apples instead.
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. bran
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. ginger
- ½ t. nutmeg
- ½ t. salt
- ½ c. low fat milk
- ¼ c. applesauce
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 pear, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 T. sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tine with 12 cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the whole wheat flour, bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the milk, applesauce, olive oil, and egg and stir until combined.
- Fold in the pear pieces.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ of the way full. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.