It’s summer time and I love taking walks outside in the sunshine, working in my garden, and cooking delicious foods. I always head home to my parents several times in the summer because of all the family birthdays and being at home makes me feel nostalgic. This week the Sunday Supper Movement is sharing Nostalgic Summertime Recipes.
Being at my parents in the summertime makes me think of pudding pops. Did you ever have pudding pops in the summer? My mom used to buy them and put them in the freezer then my brother and I could grab one whenever we were hot and hungry. We usually bought the plain vanilla, plain chocolate, and the half chocolate/half vanilla ones. The half and half ones were always my favorite. Whenever I see a pudding pop it takes me back to summers with my brother at my parents house.
Initially I was going to make half chocolate and half vanilla pudding pops but then I went to a farm and picked 5 pounds of strawberries. They were staring up at me from the refrigerator so I decided to make chocolate covered strawberry pudding pops. I wanted to layer creamy chocolate pudding with fluffy vanilla cream studded with strawberries.
The chocolate pudding layer was simple to make as I just whipped up a batch of boxed chocolate fudge pudding. For the strawberry layer I whipped some heavy cream with sugar and vanilla then added in a bunch of chopped strawberries. I ended up piping the chocolate pudding into the ice pop molds so it didn’t get all over the mold. Then I gently put the strawberry layer on top of that and piped on more chocolate pudding.
I froze the pops for 4 hours and when they came out they were perfect! I loved seeing the distinct layers of chocolate and strawberries. They were so creamy and delicious and took me back to summers at home with my friends. I can’t wait to make other flavored pudding pops for next time!
- 1 box Chocolate Fudge Pudding mix
- 1½ c. cold milk
- 1 c. strawberries, chopped
- ¼ c. sugar, divided
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 T. vanilla
- 8 ice pop molds
- In a large bowl combine the Chocolate Fudge Pudding mix and the cold milk. Whisk for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl toss together the strawberries and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Add the heavy cream and remaining sugar to a chilled metal bowl. Using a mixer, whip the whipping cream until it is thick and peaks form.
- Fold ½ cup of the whipped cream into the chocolate pudding. Set aside.
- Add the strawberries to the whipped cream and gently mix together.
- Place the pudding in a piping bag. Pipe 1 inch of chocolate pudding in the bottom of each of 8 ice pop molds. Carefully spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the strawberry cream mixture on top of the chocolate pudding then pipe enough chocolate pudding on top to almost fill the mold. Bang the mold on the counter several times to remove air bubbles then add the sticks.
- Freeze for 4 hours or until the pops are frozen.
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Summer’s Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S’mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Rhubarb Cake by Monica’s Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board