Tuesdays are my late day. I go straight from work to Zumba and I don’t get home until 6. So that means most Tuesdays I look for something easy to make or I make a slow cooker meal. I love making slow cooker meals because I can throw everything into the slow cooker, turn it on, and when I get home my dinner is ready to go.
This Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken can be made with chicken breasts or thighs but I really think thighs hold up better in the slow cooker. They absorb the flavors in the pot with them and they are super tender. I got a great deal on boneless chicken thighs last week so that’s what I used in this recipe.
I’ll be honest, when making this recipe I just basically poured things into the slow cooker so my measurements are approximate. I do a lot of dumping into my slow cooker instead of measuring because I find it doesn’t make too much of a difference.
I just gathered my basic ingredients, poured them into the slow cooker, then added the chicken. I cooked on low for 8 hours then added in peppers and broccoli. Feel free to add any vegetables you like with your sesame chicken. I let it cook for another hour and I was ready to go.
The chicken thighs were so tender and flavorful. The honey makes the sauce a little sticky and slightly sweet while the soy sauce, ketchup, and rice vinegar make up the majority of the sauce. I added in a bit of Sriracha because I love the sweet and spicy combination. I served it over top of some quick rice and dinner was ready just after 6.
- 2-3 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- ½ c. ketchup
- ½ c. low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ c. rice vinegar
- ¼ c. honey
- 1 t. Sriracha
- 2 t. sesame oil
- 1 T. ginger, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- black pepper
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 2 bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 4 c. rice, cooked
- Sesame Seeds
- COmbine the ketchup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, Sriracha, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, black pepper, and 1 cup of water in the slow cooker. Mix well.
- Set the chicken thighs on top of the sauce and spoon sauce over top of the chicken thighs.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add the broccoli and peppers to the slow cooker, spoon sauce on top of them, and cook on low for an additional hour.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.