I am constantly on the lookout for new tofu recipes, especially if they aren’t Asian. I like to cook tofu about once a week and I’d say 75% of my tofu recipes are Asian. I think it’s really easy to make Asian tofu but it’s harder to use it in other cuisine because it doesn’t naturally occur in other cuisines.
As soon as I saw a picture of these Sofritas Tofu Burrito Bowls I was sold. They look delicious and filling and they were a Mexican dish instead of an Asian dish. I like making meals that cook on the stove top only in the summer and this one looked like it had a ton of flavor in it.
So what is a sofrita or sofrito? I had no idea so I had to look it up. It turns out that a sofrito is a type of sauce used in Spanish cooking. It usually consists of garlic, onions, paprika, peppers, and tomatoes. This is the base of the recipe I was making so I figured it had to be close to authentic.
To make the recipe the tofu is rolled in a spice mixture then pan fried until browned. Then a thick sauce is made from peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. This sauce is super fragrant and I couldn’t wait to try it on the tofu. Then everything is mixed together along with some beans. That’s basically it.
It’s served over rice and the traditional burrito condiments can be put on top. I found a little bit of cheese and a little sour cream was my favorite to put on top. The sauce is spicy but not overly so. There are a lot of flavors going on in this dish. While I pressed my tofu I don’t think I pressed it long enough because it wasn’t as firm as I would have liked it to be.
Overall this is a tasty dish that is great for a vegetarian Mexican meal. I liked how filling it was and the flavors in the dish. We also decided to put a few tortilla chips in the bowls to help scoop out the sofritas and that was a great way to eat them!
- 16 oz. extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ t. oregano
- ½ t. onion powder
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 2 T. salsa
- ¼ c. onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. cilantro, chopped
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 c. rice, cooked
- ¼ c. cilantro, chopped
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- In a small bowl combine the paprika, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, chili powder, and salt. Add the tofu and toss to cut.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the tofu and saute, stirring occasionally, until brown. Remove the tofu and set aside.
- In a blender combine the chipotle peppers, tomatoes, salsa, onion, garlic, and cilantro. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet over medium heat. Add in the sauce mixture. Bring to a gentle boil and add in the tofu and beans.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- To put the bowls together place ¾ cup of rice in a bowl, top with the sofritas, sprinkle with cilantro, cheese, and top with sour cream.