Today I’m sharing another great holiday side dish recipe. Since Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up I want to be prepared with as many side dish recipes to choose from as possible. I always seem to be able to pull potato or pasta dishes out but I usually have trouble when it comes to vegetable side dishes.
One of my all time favorite vegetable side dishes is broccoli and cheese. I’m not talking about anything fancy, simply steamed broccoli with a piece of American cheese on top. My mom used to make it as a side dish when I was a kid and I still like it as a side dish now.
Of course it isn’t really a holiday side dish but I wanted to turn it into one. To start with I added cauliflower to the broccoli. I mean, cauliflower is broccoli’s more sophisticated cousin so I thought that would help to make it more holiday worthy.
Instead of a piece of American cheese I used a combination of Velveeta and cheddar cheese along with some milk to make a nice cheese sauce. Then I topped it all off with a well seasoned breadcrumb mixture. It didn’t take long to prepare and this dish would be easy to make a day ahead of time and put in the refrigerator.
The broccoli and cauliflower turned out well. They were cooked but still slightly firm. The cheese had melted into a creamy cheese sauce. The breadcrumb mixture on top just added a nice flavor and texture to the dish. It really was a grown up version of my favorite side dish and I’ll be proud to serve it during the holidays.
- 1 lb. broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 lb. cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1½ c. Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ c. butter
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 T. paprika
- ½ t. cayenne
- salt and black pepper
- ¾ c. Velveeta cheese, cut into pieces
- ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ c. milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl combine the panko, melted butter, oregano, paprika, and cayenne. Mix well and set aside.
- Sprinkle the broccoli and cauliflower with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the Velveeta cheese pieces evenly over top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Carefully pour the milk over top of the broccoli and cauliflower. Mix well with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top of the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Corn Pudding by Brunch-n-Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.