Welcome to 12 Days of Cookies, hosted by FamilyAroundTheTable and CookingwithCarlee. We’ll be sharing delicious cookie recipes all week long in celebration of the holiday season. Perfect for your holiday cookie trays or party dessert table. Search #ChristmasCookies to see all the goodies these 12 days. Follow the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Pinterest board for more cookie ideas.
I’ve been looking around for different cookie recipes to try. I found one for a Toffee Walnut shortbread cookie that looked amazing. When I went to check out the recipe it used a cookie mix and 3 other ingredients. Since I had no cookie mix on hand I just decided to wing it.
By winging it I meant that I changed the entire cookie. I changed it so much so that no one would even recognize it. Somehow the Toffee Walnut cookie got turned into Spiced Pretzel Walnut Cookies with Chocolate Chips. So I did keep the walnuts in there!
For the actual dough I used an easy cookie dough that I use for the base of so many different cookies. I has butter, sugars, flour, and leavening agents as well as eggs. It’s an awesome base because you can put anything in it and I put everything in it!
I ended up adding a lot of different flavors to these cookies. I added in crushed up pretzels for texture and saltiness. Then I chopped up walnuts for an added crunch. Chocolate chips went in for a rich flavor and cinnamon chips were thrown in for spice. It was a lot of different flavors coming together but it really worked well.
The resulting cookie was totally delicious! It was crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle. They were slightly salty, had a nice spice from the cinnamon, and the walnuts stayed crunchy. The chocolate melted into the cookies and added a rich flavor. The cookies were really unique tasting but all of the flavors worked together to make a tasty cookie.
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1¼ c. flour
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ c. pretzels, crushed
- ¼ c. walnuts, chopped
- ¼ c. cinnamon chips
- ¼ c. chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together the sugar, brown sugar, and butter. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in the pretzels, walnuts, cinnamon chips, and chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown. Remove from oven, allow to sit for 1 minute, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.