Who is ready for Cinco de Mayo? Cinco de Mayo is on Friday which is the perfect day to celebrate! This week Sunday Supper is sharing our favorite easy Cinco de Mayo recipes so you can be ready to celebrate with all of your friends.
I’ll be honest I had a hard time coming up with a recipe to share this week. Part of the problem is that I share recipes on this holiday almost every year. Some of my favorites are my Taco Pizza, Watermelon Margarita, and my Mexican Pasta Salad. All three are delicious and are tasty recipes for celebrating Cinco de Mayo.
This year I’m sharing a recipe for salsa. I know I already have about 5 salsa recipes on my blog but most of them are canning recipes because I love taking fresh tomatoes and turning them into a salsa I can enjoy all year long. Unfortunately tomatoes are not in season in Maryland in May. We have to wait until August for those. So this recipe uses canned tomatoes but I don’t think you’ll even notice.
This recipe is for 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa. I was skeptical when I saw it because of how easy it is. Basically you take all the ingredients, throw them in a food processor, blend, and you are finished. I wasn’t sure how good that could possibly taste but I was willing to give it a try.
I whipped up a batch in less than 5 minutes, took a taste, and thought it was just ok. I was a little disappointed so I put it in the refrigerator and thought I’d come back to it later on. Let me tell you, refrigerating it made all the difference! The flavors melded together into one of the best salsas I’ve ever had!
I really like that this salsa is processed finely and has no big chunks in it. I’m not a big chunky tomato fan so that was perfect. This salsa had just the right amount of spice to it and of course you can adjust it to your preferences. I’d say if you make it as I’ve written it that it tastes like a medium salsa. The jalapenos add a nice amount of heat and the lime juice keeps it tasting fresh.
My husband and I both liked the salsa so much that we enjoyed it as our evening snack several days in a row until it was gone. I didn’t have this salsa with a margarita but I can only imagine the saltiness of the tortilla chips with this spicy salsa and a cold margarita would be the perfect Friday night celebration.
- 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes in their juice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into an air tight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement