Summer has been really hot. It’s a little odd because one week I was wearing jeans and a hoodie and the next week I was in a tank top and shorts. It went from totally chilly to blazing hot. So needless to say I’ve been looking for ways to cool off.
One way we’ve found is to stay hydrated. While both my husband and I drink a ton of water and sparkling water during the summer, sometimes it’s nice to have something different. One thing we both love is iced tea. While we like it unsweetened occasionally we like to flavor our iced tea and give it a bit of sweetness.
One of my favorite flavors of tea is honey and lemon. In the winter whenever I’m not feeling good or I’m sad my sad would make me a cup of hot tea with honey and lemon. Nowadays either my husband or I make it but it’s still the same flavors. I wanted to use those flavors but in an iced tea.
So what did I do? I made a Honey Lemon Mint Iced Tea using a simple syrup with lemon and honey. Now to make it a little more refreshing I added in some fresh mint from my garden. The mint is a subtle flavor so it’s not over bearing at all.
I added a few tablespoons of the simple syrup to a tall glass of freshly brewed iced tea and it tasted like summer in a glass. It was cool, refreshing, and tasted of summer. Since I only used a bit of the syrup it wasn’t too sweet either. However, since I made plenty of the honey lemon mint syrup it was easy to customize each glass of iced tea we enjoyed.
So when you are hot this summer and need a refreshing beverage make sure to try this flavorful and delicious Honey Lemon Mint Iced Tea!
- ½ c. water
- ½ c. lemon juice
- 3 T. fresh mint leaves
- ½ c. honey
- 4 tea bags or 2 T. loose leaf tea
- 12 c. water, divided
- ½ c. simple syrup
- Lemon wedges
- mint leaves
- In a small saucepan combine the water, lemon juice, mint leaves, and honey.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and strain into a glass jar. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the iced tea bring 8 cups of water to a boil then pour into a large bowl. Add the tea bags or loose leaf tea in a tea ball. Steep for 10 minutes.
- Pour the hot tea into a pitcher. Add in 4 cups of cold water.
- Add ½ cup of the honey lemon mint simple syrup and stir well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve fill a glass with ice and pour the Honey Lemon Mint Iced Tea over top. Garnish with a lemon wedge and a mint leaf.