September means back to school and whenever I go back to school I’m always on the lookout for healthy lunches and snacks to take with me. I often eat during the late shift so I like to have something to snack on during the day. If I don’t snack during the day I often overeat during lunch because I’m so hungry.
One problem I have with taking lunch and snacks to school is I don’t have anything to put them in. I feel bad using plastic baggies because I end up using a ton throughout the school year. That’s why I like having containers that are sturdy enough to last me throughout the year.
Have you seen LunchBots containers? These stainless steal containers are great for packing snacks! They clean up easily, have several compartments, and are compact so I can just throw them in my teacher bag before leaving for work.
When looking for a healthy snack I decided to make granola bars. I like granola bars because they are great as a snack or as part of my breakfast or lunch. They also stay good for up to a week so I don’t have to rush to make them. In the past I’ve made soft granola bars and hard ones and I much prefer the soft ones.
To make the bars perfect for midday snacking and to help energize me since I teach a lot of elementary school ages children I added in Barlean’s Energy Blend to the mix. It has a mixture of flax, chia, coconut, and Panax Ginseng. This is pretty cool because I often add both flax and chia to my granola bars so this just gives them a little added boost.
I added in chocolate chips because sometimes you just need a little chocolate in your life. I then threw in some nuts to give it a bit of crunch and tossed them into the oven. I used honey and eggs to help them stick together but feel free to remove the eggs and use 1/3 cup of your favorite nut butter instead. I’m not a huge nut butter fan which is why I used the eggs instead.
The bars came out great. They were studded with sweet chocolate chips and had a nice crunch from the nuts. The granola bars were soft and chewy and definitely filled me up until lunch time. They were a great snack to take to school and I think kids and adults alike would love them!
- 2 c. oats
- ½ c. Barlean's Energy Blend
- 1 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ c. honey
- ½ c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- ½ c. mini chocolate chips
- ½ c. walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, Energy Blend, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, honey, milk, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture will be wet.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 30 minutes. Use the foil or parchment to remove the bar from the pan and place on a cutting board.
- Cut the granola into 10 bars and gently place them in parchment paper or another wrap if desired. I just stacked mine in an air tight container.
This post is sponsored by Barlean’s but all opinions are 100% my own.