It's time for another Secret Recipe Club swap! This month the blog I received was Peanut Butter and Peppers. I was excited to get Jennifer's blog because I already follow it and have several of her recipes pinned to make. When I found out this was my blog I knew immediately I wanted to make the Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with Pretzel Crust. I've been eye balling these bad boys for a while!
I didn't have to wait too long. A few days after receiving my blog a few friends of ours decided to come over and play some games. I'm always making sweets when people come over because when I make them for just Frank and I we end up eating most of them.
These cookies were awesome! A sweet and salty pretzel crust topped off with chocolate chip cookies is the perfect combination of sweet and salty. I love the extra crunch the pretzel crust gives the bars as well. They are super easy to make because they are bar cookies and they were great for company!
For the Cookies:
6 T. butter, softened
¼ c. sugar
¼ c. light brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
⅔ c. King Arthur all purpose flour
½ c. Bob's Red Mill graham flour
½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1 c. mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine the ingredients for the crust. Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, beat the but and sugars until well combined. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
4. In a small bowl combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough on top of the hot pretzel crust and gently spread it over top of the pretzels. Use your fingers and press the dough into the pretzels.
7. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Cut into 16 or 20 bars and serve cooled.