One of my favorite things about being a food blogger is belonging to a wonderful community of women that have quickly become my friends. So many of us talk everyday and share the wonderful things happening in our lives. When I was asked by Joelen to participate in a baby shower for Jessica at The Jey of Cooking I was thrilled to say yes!
I love reading Jessica's posts on Facebook because they are often straight to the point and hilarious. The girl definitely has a great sense of humor. She also has a fabulous food blog that I often drool over. Seriously, she has some amazing desserts on there.
When I think about ball parks and baseballs games one of the first things that comes to mind are Cracker Jacks. I love the sweetness of the caramel and the saltiness from the popcorn. This recipe brought the Cracker Jacks to a whole new level. The homemade caramel sauce was amazing. The Cracker Jacks were crunchy, sweet, salty, and addicting; everything a pregnant lady needs! Congratulations to Jessica and her family and I can't wait to see the new addition!
Cracker Jacks (adapted from Savory Sweet Life )
3 bags microwaveable kettle corn
2 c. creme brulee whole almonds ( or 2 c. Spanish peanuts)
1 ½ c. brown sugar
⅓ c. light corn syrup
2 t. sea salt
½ c. butter
1 t. vanilla
½ t. baking soda
1. Pop the kettle corn in the microwave according to the package directions.
2. Open the bags and dump the popcorn into a clean brown grocery bag. Toss the creme brulee almonds in the bag as well. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Spray 2 or 3 large cookie sheets with cooking spray.
4. In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, sea salt, and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the caramel sauce from the heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. Pour the caramel sauce into the brown paper bag on top of the popcorn. Using a wooden spoon quickly mix the popcorn so that the caramel sauce is evenly distributed over the popcorn and nuts.
6. Pour the popcorn onto the prepared baking sheets. Using the wooden spoon make sure it is in a nice, even layer.
7. Bake the popcorn in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring the popcorn every 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store in an air tight container.