New Year's Eve is tomorrow night! Do you have a signature cocktail ready to go? I've been having a tough time figuring out which one I want to serve. For our Christmas I served this Cranberry Ginger Margarita which was a huge hit. I was also thinking about Citrus Moscato Sangria which is a great winter beverage. Then I thought that maybe I need a mocktail like my Blue Sparkler Mocktail.
In the end I decided to make a signature martini and a signature champagne cocktail. I'll be sharing the champagne cocktail recipe tomorrow so stay tuned.
I am actually not a huge martini fan. They are often way too strong for me and are more about the vodka then the actual flavor. I like to taste the flavor in my martini and I like a hint of sweetness as well. Basically, I like to enjoy my martini when I can.
This Lemon Ginger Tea Martini is awesome. Most people in my town love sweet tea so this is a great recipe to serve at a party. I started with lemon vodka and steeped a tea bag in the vodka for about 5 minutes. That gives the martini it's lemon and tea flavor. Then I added some lemon juice, honey, and ginger simple syrup. Shake in a cocktail shaker and strain it into the martini glass.
It looks just like iced tea. It tastes like iced tea. It is sweet but not sickeningly sweet. There is a lot of lemon flavor, a hint of honey, and a bit of the ginger flavor. It's a really great martini packed with flavor but not overly strong. I garnished mine with a lemon slice and a piece of crystalized ginger. I also rimmed the edge with yellow sparkling sugar to give it some shimmer for the new year.
For the martini:
- 2 oz. lemon vodka
- 1 tea bag
- 1 T. honey
- 1 oz. ginger simple syrup
- 1 T. lemon juice
- yellow sparkling sugar
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 piece crystalized ginger
For the ginger simple syrup:
- ½ c. water
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 T. grated fresh ginger
- Place the lemon vodka in a small bowl. Add the tea bag and steep for 5 minutes. (If you are having trouble getting the tea to steep, heat the vodka for 15 seconds in a microwave.)
- Pour the tea steeped lemon vodka into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Add in the honey, ginger simple syrup, and lemon juice.
- Place the cap on the shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Pour the yellow sugar into a shallow dish. Rim a martini glass with honey. Dip the rim of the martini glass in the yellow sugar.
- Strain the martini into the martini glass. Garnish with a lemon slice and a piece of crystalized ginger and enjoy!
- To make the ginger simple syrup place the water, sugar, and ginger in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
A Hezzi-D Original Recipe