Summer has finally shown it's face in my small town! After weeks of rain and chilly temperatures this week has been mostly sunny and in the 70's and 80's. Next week is my last week of work before my summer vacation and I cannot wait! In 14 years of teaching I've never gotten out of school this early and I'm really looking forward to having most of June to relax.
This week Sunday Supper is sharing Summers Best Potluck recipes. It'll be no surprise to you that I'm sharing a dessert recipe. Whenever we go to picnics and BBQ's in the summer I always offer to bring something and everyone always requests a dessert. We also have a lot of birthdays in the summer months in my family and I make the desserts and cakes for those as well.
It might surprise you to see that the recipe I'm sharing is Lemon Icebox Bars. I'll be the first to admit I've never made an icebox dessert. I'm not really sure why except that they were most popular before I was born. However, I'm not sure they've ever totally fallen out of favor and I can see why.
When summer sun heats up the kitchen who wants to bake something in the oven? Not me! I try to use the oven as little as possible since we don't have air conditioning. So icebox desserts are something that I can't wait to explore more.
This recipe was really easy to make and I had all the ingredients I needed in the house. The crust is a simple graham cracker crust. The filling is a combination of sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and gelatin. The gelatin is the secret to this filling because it really helps the dessert firm up in the refrigerator.
When I pulled the icebox bars out of the refrigerator I was please to see that they had firmed up. I was able to easily cut them into bars and scoop them out of the pan. They have a lovely lemon flavor and a really smooth texture. The buttery graham cracker crust rounds out the dessert. They would be the perfect dessert to bring to an outdoor event. After having a bite of these bars I can't wait to start trying my hand at other icebox desserts!
- 5 full sheets of graham crackers
- 2 T. butter
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. salt
- 8 oz. ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- ½ c. lemon juice
- 2 t. unflavored gelatin
- 3 T. boiling water
- ½ t. ground ginger
- Put the graham crackers, butter, brown sugar, and salt into a food processor. Process until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 9 or 7 x 11 pan lined with foil. Place in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Put the cream cheese in a bowl and beat on medium speed. Add in the sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice and beat on medium speed until smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, pour the gelatin into a bowl with the boiling water, mix, and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into the cream cheese mixture and beat on medium speed until fluffy.
- Pour the mixture into the crust and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Walnut Grapes by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
Sides and Salads
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Double Chocolate Blondies by Family Around The Table
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Plus Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake and Best Potluck Dishes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board