This creamy and hearty soup filled with bits of chicken, vegetables, and potato gnocchi is perfect for warming up on a cold day. This recipe originally published in April 2012.
One of my favorite places to eat lunch whenever I go home to my parents is the Olive Garden. We don't have one near us so I only make it there about once a year but when I do go I enjoy it. My friend Christie and I love to go and get the soup, salad, and breadsticks. We sit and talk and laugh and enjoy a tasty lunch.
While they have several soups that I really enjoy my favorite in the winter is their Chicken and Gnocchi Soup. It's a hearty, creamy soup that has chicken, potato gnocchi, and vegetables in it.
Since I can't always get it I wanted to find a recipe so that I could make it at home. This Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe is totally a winner! While it looks like there are a lot of ingredients in the soup, it's really easy to make.
For the soup you will need:
- half and half
- frozen spinach
- Parmesan cheese
To make the soup you saute the onions and garlic in the butter. Then you add in the flour to make a roux which is what thickens up the soup. The half and half is added and the soup is cooked until it has thickened.
Then everything else is combined in the pot and is heated for 15 minutes. You can simmer the soup for longer if you want too but because it is cream based I wouldn't let it simmer for longer than an our.
The soup was hot and creamy with the perfect amount of vegetables, chicken, and gnocchi. We had it for dinner with salad and rolls and while my salad and rolls were not up to the standards of the Olive Garden, I'm pretty sure the soup surpasses their soup. My husband definitely agreed that this version was better then the original.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 c. onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 quart fat free half and half
- 1 c. carrots, shredded
- 2 c. cooked chicken breast, diced
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 lb. potato gnocchi
- 1 c. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1. In a large stock pot heat the butter over medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add in the flour and stir to make a roux. Let the mixture cook for one minute then add in the half and half.
3. Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
4. Add in the carrots and chicken and stir until well combined.
5. Add in the chicken broth and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add in the gnocchi, spinach, thyme, peppers, and stir.
7. Simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Brenda's Canadian Kitchen
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 948mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 28g
National Soup Swap Day 2021
Happy National Soup Swap Day! Today, I'm linking up with other bloggers for a virtual soup swap hosted by Kate's Recipe Box - and we're all sharing some tasty soup recipes to warm you up!
- Dill Pickle Soup from Kate's Recipe Box
- Alphabet Soup from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Dairy Free Cream of Asparagus Soup from Frugal & Fit
- Quick Vegetable Soup from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Clean the Refrigerator Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Garlic Soup with Potatoes, Kale, & Bacon from Savory Moments
- Cream of Mushroom Soup from Kathryn's Kitchen Blog
- 30 Minute Two Bean Tomato Soup from Blogghetti
- Vichyssoise from That Recipe
- Rotisserie Chicken Alphabet Soup from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Chicken and Black Bean Vegetable Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Potato and Spinach Soup from Magical Ingredients
- Conch Soup from HomeMadeZagat
- Copycat Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Slow-Cooker Pasta Fagioli Soup from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Corn Chowder from House of Nash Eats
- Lobster Bisque from The Redhead Baker
- Bacon-Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hong Kong Style Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup from Making Miracles
- Cauliflower Cheddar Soup from Devour Dinner
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Hostess at Heart