Summertime summertime sum-sum-summertime......yeah I have that song stuck in my head today. The sun is shining, it's hot outside, and I've been drinking gallons of water each day. When I'm not drinking water I'm sipping on fresh brewed iced tea. I don't know about you but I love an ice cold beverage on a hot summer day.
Of course most people like an ice cold beverage whenever they are drinking a cold drink. Not me. I'm not a huge ice fan, especially in the colder months. I'm perfectly find drinking a room temperature soda or water during fall or winter but whenever it's hot outside I need the ice.
I've been getting bored with plain old water and plain old unsweetened iced tea so I decided to jazz it up a bit. I've been experimenting with all types of flavored simple syrups using fresh produce I get at the farmer's markets. This past week they had tons of peaches so I bought a big old bag of them.
I really like peach iced tea that is just lightly sweetened. I'm not a huge fan of really sweet iced tea. Of course if you like your tea sweet you can always add more sugar to this recipe but I think the way I made it is really refreshing. This Peach Iced Tea is perfect for sipping on outside in the summertime.
The peach syrup is made with fresh peaches, sugar, water, and cinnamon. It's super easy to make as all I had to do was boil it and then let it cool. I like to keep my simple syrups in a mason jar in the refrigerator and then I can add the syrup to my unsweetened iced tea whenever I like. That means I can make the tea as sweet as I'd like.
This peach syrup is great to have on hand for summer parties and picnics since people often like their iced tea with different levels of sweetness. Simply put out the mason jar of syrup with a spoon and a big pitcher of iced tea and let people add the syrup themselves. I also like to garnish the Peach Iced Tea with a few slices of fresh peaches. It's a flavorful and delicious summertime sipper.
- 3 peaches, pitted and chopped
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 c. water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pitcher iced tea
- Place the peaches, sugar, water, and cinnamon sticks in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, smash the peaches. Continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 30 minutes.
- Press the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and discard the solids. Refrigerate the simple syrup until ready to use.
- When ready to enjoy simply pour a glass of iced tea and add as much peach syrup as you'd like. Garnish with slices of fresh peach.