It's the holiday season and this week I'm celebrating with my family and wine from Gallo Family Vineyards! I love this time of year for two reasons. One is that I get to see my family and friends a lot more than normal and the other is that I get to make everyone a lot of good food. Last weekend I was lucky enough to have my brother and his fiancée come to visit for the holidays. Whenever they come to town he likes to choose what I make for dinner then I wow him with a dessert of my choosing.
He also usually brings us a bottle of wine that we have with dinner. I know whenever I go anywhere around the holidays and don’t know what to take with me, a great hostess gift is always a bottle of one of my favorite wines. So in anticipation of having wine with dinner, I decided to work up a menu plan for the weekend and include some of my go to wines as both beverages and in the meals. Lucky for me this was the perfect time to make my meal for this week's #SundaySupper which is featuring Gallo Family Vineyards!
Gallo Family Vineyards offers 16 different wines year-round, including Moscato, Hearty Burgundy, Pinot Grigio and more. To learn about all of the wines visit
Gallo Family Vineyards also has a program called Every Cork Counts. Every day, 8 million seniors in the U.S. face the threat of hunger-that's one in every six seniors. From now until Dec. 31, 2013, Gallo Family Vineyards is partnering with Meals On Wheels Association of America to fight hunger with the Every Cork Counts campaign. To learn more and to help fight hunger visit http://www.EveryCorkCounts.com.
I'm so thankful that I have enough food to eat and enough to share with my family. So when my arrived I served baked brie cheese en croute as a snack before dinner. For dinner we had Polenta over Mozzarella, Greens, and Sausage along with salads and bread which I served with Gallo Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon. Then came dessert. As you know, dessert is my specialty. I had a bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato and decided to use it in both my dessert and a beverage for the dessert course to make a great ending for our memorable holiday meal.
The Moscato is such a crisp wine with some sweetness that made a wonderful cranberry sangria. I served that with a Pomegranate White Wine Panna Cotta. The colors were beautiful and the creaminess of the panna cotta worked so well with the sweetness of the wine and the tartness of the pomegranate seeds. Overall a perfect dessert.
Pomegranate White Wine Panna Cotta (adapted from Pastry Affair)
For the Vanilla Panna Cotta:
1 packet (2 ¼ t.) unflavored powdered gelatin
3 T. cold water
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. 2% milk
¼ c. granulated sugar
½ t. salt
2 t. vanilla
For the Pomegranate White Wine Syrup:
1 c. Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato wine
1 T. sugar
¾ c. pomegranate seeds
1. Pour the water into a small bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Whisk together and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
2. In a large saucepan combine the heavy cream, milk, sugar, and salt over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add in the gelatin mixture and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Divide evenly between 4 individual dishes. Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours.
5. To make the syrup, bring the Moscato and sugar to a slow simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds. Simmer until the wine reduces by half then remove from heat and strain the pomegranate seeds out of the syrup. Refrigerate the syrup until ready to use.
6. To serve remove the panna cotta from the refrigerator. Spoon the syrup on top of the panna cottas and sprinkle with remaining pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.
Want to have some more fun with Gallo Family Vineyards? You can build your own family crest here: www.crestcreator.com
See all the delicious recipes this week!
- Clementine, Whiskey & Wine Cocktail by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mandarin Spice Mulled Wine by girlichef
- Cabernet-Shallot Mushroom Cheeseburgers by The Weekend Gourmet
- Crock Pot Beef Bourguignon by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Cranberry Bacon Stuffing by Momma's Meals
- Fettuccine with Italian Sausage and Mascarpone by The Foodie Army Wife
- Family Fondue by kimchi MOM
- Lemon White Wine Green Beans & Mushrooms by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Linguine with Spicy Red Clam Sauce by Supper for a Steal
- Baked Stuffed Pork Chops with Moscato Gravy by Webicurean
- Moscato Orange Chicken with Olives by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Moscato Stone Crab Scampi by Family Foodie
- Mushroom Risotto by The Messy Baker
- Portabellas Stuffed with Cabernet Onions and Gorgonzola by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Red Wine Risotto by Shockingly Delicious
- Short Ribs With Pasta by Magnolia Days
- Pomegranate White Wine Panna Cotta by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Fudgy Red Wine Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red Wine Chocolate Cake by Alida's Kitchen
- Red Wine Velvet Cake by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen